PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a digital

kmon35
February 25th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Camera that is. Our Kodak easy share is pretty much shot. It wasn't that great to begin with.

We only have about $400 to spend.

Any thoughts on the best deal, and brand?

I know very little about photography, but love to take pictures.

I would love to hear from the experts.

OrangeCrush
February 25th, 2009, 09:49 AM
find a canon g9 they should be down around 400 now

ColoradoSkier
February 25th, 2009, 10:13 AM
http://denver.craigslist.org/pho/1048938538.html - $325

Jeffro600
February 25th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Agree with the above...a G9(or a 10) would be a great choice. It will do anything from simple point and shoot to wildly creative and everything in between.

kmon35
February 25th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Does it have an auto mode?

The specs in the add sound like it might be like an old film camera I had. You needed a degree just to take a picture. I could never get the stuff lined up right, and my pictures always looked like crap.

But if it will just point and shoot, that looks like it would be nice. ....Thanks.

OrangeCrush
February 25th, 2009, 03:16 PM
auto mode is intact I use mine all the time and I don't fiddle with settings

~tc~
February 25th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Canon A650 uses the same sensor as the G9 for abut half the price. Body of the camera isn't as nice, and it doesn't shoot RAW, but for a lot of people, the money is hard to pass up these days.

Tiffany
February 25th, 2009, 04:35 PM
If you might want to step up to a DSLR, I will have a Canon 20D available next week that is in excellent condition. I would let it go for less than that G9, all you would need is a lens.

kmon35
March 1st, 2009, 05:54 PM
Tiffany, I would lovet to step up to an slr, even though I don't know what it is.

I showed the wife the gl-9 and 10. I was pretty excited, but she wants something smaller that will fit into a pocket.

Thanks for the tips so far. I wish I had more money....

rubbersidedown
March 5th, 2009, 05:35 PM
I showed the wife the gl-9 and 10. I was pretty excited, but she wants something smaller that will fit into a pocket.

Thanks for the tips so far. I wish I had more money....

I've been very happy with my Cannon Power Shot SD790is (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0011ZK6OS/interactiveda8744-20)for a small point and shoot camera. And if you want to make your own settings it can do that too.

Jeffro600
March 5th, 2009, 05:49 PM
I've been very happy with my Cannon Power Shot SD790is (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0011ZK6OS/interactiveda8744-20)for a small point and shoot camera. And if you want to make your own settings it can do that too.

Same here...gives you more of a pocket camera...but there again, its not really much more than a pocket camera. It lacks the ability to get creative with it in terms of shutter speeds, aperture and other areas.

Its a great P&S camera...and if thats all you need then it will serve you well. I rarely use mine except for craigslist or ebay pictures though...

kmon35
March 5th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Excellent, and thank you very much. I know she just wants something for vacations, taking pics of the kids.

I do a lot of hunting and fishing, so I'm out, and see a lot of cool stuff. A point and shoot isn't enough for me, but it will make her happy.

I'm learning that that keeps me happy.