PDA

View Full Version : Kel-Tec 9mm advise

Matt
February 22nd, 2009, 10:59 PM
Anyone know of a shop that has one? They seem to be a great little gun and something the GF can enjoy shooting. Any advise would be appreciated.

TIA, Matt

OrangeCrush
February 22nd, 2009, 11:02 PM
not very fun to shoot at all

in my experience anyways much like the new luger one they came out with. It is alot of bullet to shoot out of a derringer style gun :)

get your hands on one and shoot it before you buy

Leon Phelps
February 22nd, 2009, 11:16 PM
Goes bang when you pull the trigger. I would not expect more than that. It's like a high end saturday night special.

Keyton
February 23rd, 2009, 10:16 AM
I haven't seen one in the gun stores for a while, but have at nearly all gun shows. You know the Crossroads of the West (http://www.crossroadsgunshows.com/gunsched.htm) show is coming up 7-8 March right? There should be a few there.

I have one of these and while I like it a lot, "fun" isn't a word that springs to mind for this gun. It has the longest trigger pull of anything I've owned. KelTec offers a lighter spring and a trigger shoe which will help help but mine smoothed out considerably after the first 300 rounds or so. I strongly suggest a Hogue Hand-all Jr for this as well. A buddy of mine hated his until (a) it started to get broken in, and (b) he added the Hogue.

The KelTec Owners Group ( www.ktog.org )is one of the better gun-specific forums I've seen and full of great information.

Metalhed
February 23rd, 2009, 01:44 PM
I had one and sold it after 2 boxes. Square grip pounds the heck out of your thumb and hand. Was a fair shooter, with a huge trigger pull.

lostinwoods
February 24th, 2009, 06:16 AM
Matt,
I recently bought a Kel-Tec PF9 and for what i paid for it and it's intended use; i think it is a fine gun ( my opinion ). I was looking for a cheap carry piece that had more punch then my old Beretta Model 70 - 32 auto but with the same size or smaller and less weight. It meets all of those requirments. I also like the fact that it is double action only. It does have a kick with the 9mm round but i think that is expected with the lighter poly frame. It is not extremely accurate after lets say 25 feet but for defense i believe you are closer then that and don't have time to aim very well. I can hit a center mass at close range and even farther with no problem. Bottom line, it serves it's purpose for the price. yeah there are much nicer and better guns out there but who has any extra money today. It is a low cost gun but i don't think it is cheaply made like a Saturday Night Special. After break in period it only gets better.
I think you and your GF should shoot as many guns as possible that fall into your requirments. You both are able to shoot mine if you like to see if it is something you might like, if so let me know and we can meet sometime and try it out. By the way, i have a few more guns that might fit want you are looking for as well, SW 5 shot 38 SP snub nose or my old beretta 70.

Eric

Matt
February 24th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Thanks for the advice guys, we'll go see what fits her hand the best. I've read about the strong trigger pull. Maybe I'll find some money under a rock and get a little nicer piece.

Cochese
February 24th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Matt,

Look into a Glock 26. It's not a 7 round single stack, but the P11 and PF9 will not help her enjoy shooting very much. Even a used G19 would be nice. The perfect carry gun, IMO.

I have a P3AT she can shoot if you want to try that but it's snappy.

My little hooker gun! I've done a lot of work to it.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j258/imzadi930/kt006.jpg

Had a hard time holding onto it till I stippled the crap out of it.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j258/imzadi930/kt002.jpg

Keyton
February 24th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Had a hard time holding onto it till I stippled the crap out of it.

Dremel tool and a medium cutting bit?

Cochese
February 24th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Dremel tool and a medium cutting bit?

Heat. Specifically a soldering iron with a chisel tip.

If you are in the money, you can buy a professional variable temp. woodburning tool. :thumbsup:

Cochese
February 24th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Come to think of it, I have a G26 a G19, a G23, G34 or G35 she could try, Matt.

I'm always down to hit the range.

Keyton
February 24th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Heat. Specifically a soldering iron with a chisel tip.

If you are in the money, you can buy a professional variable temp. woodburning tool. :thumbsup:

already have a variable temp soldering iron - good idea and the plastic won't clog the dremel bit - nice work!

Cochese
February 24th, 2009, 11:54 AM
already have a variable temp soldering iron - good idea and the plastic won't clog the dremel bit - nice work!

Thank you sir!

My G26.

Off duty carry 24/7 and on duty BUG.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j258/imzadi930/macjocG26-2.jpg

Cochese
February 24th, 2009, 11:59 AM
G34. Duty gun.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j258/imzadi930/beltngun005.jpg

I'll stop derailing this thread now. :D

Matt, let me know if you wanna go shooting.

Loki
February 24th, 2009, 02:26 PM
I put the Hogue wrap around grip on my G22. Its helped a great deal without a lot of effort.

ccondrey
February 25th, 2009, 04:11 PM
I had two different kel-tec P11s within the last year and couldn't get either one to run without malfunctions. (They were both used guns with fresh recoil springs.) Great little package though - would have kept them if they were reliable. I wouldn't exactly call them a soft shooter either.

(I used a variety of different ammo, did the required 'fluff and buff' from the kel-tec sites, and wasn't limp-wristing.)

I've never had a single malfunction with my G26, but it's also more expensive, and bigger than the P11.

rmjeep
February 26th, 2009, 10:17 AM
I've got a Kel-tec p40 (older brother to 9mm) and it's a 7-8 pound trigger. I can hand it to any of my friends I shoot with and they "limp wrist it" and the gun will jam. I shot enough with it to have it function well in my hands. If I had a girlfriend I'd be looking at the glock.

Dave's guns on south parker road should have one.

Cochese
February 27th, 2009, 03:33 AM
Dave's Guns went out of business in 2007.