PDA

View Full Version : Anyone made a custom...NON bumper mounted tire carrier?

Xtremjeepn-Cole Ford
February 21st, 2009, 01:27 PM
I'm on my 11th Jeep and quite frankly hate swing-a-way tire carriers. I have seen very few ever that I actually like.

It seems like we are in this 30 year old rut of design and I would like to see something fresh. I get in and out of the tailgate a LOT and hate hafving to swing out a tire carrier first.

My last Jeep I used a Bestop mount which worked really well except the tailgate was still a monster to shut with a 37 on it. With the Bestop carrier tight enough to work right, it was also very stiff to swing.

I was thinking of making my own mount to replace the factory carrier on the tailgate. Something that would move the tire in totally flush with the tailgate,and up just enough to make it fit. This alone would eliminate a ton of leverage on the gate. Plus iw would stay tight to the jeep for better departure, clearance etc.

I have also considered (for many many years) simply adding a 3rd hinge in the middle of the gate along with the right spacers and even an extra sheet of steel to add siffness to the tailgate.

3rd brakelite would be an LED in the center cap of the tire.

Anyone done or seen something similar?

el-cheapo
February 21st, 2009, 04:32 PM
nope haven't seen anything like it. but I was thinking about doing mine where it flips down level like a tailgate, then putting a spare tire crank on it so I could lower the tire down:D ya know make it easy on the big tire's

FirecrackerKTM
February 21st, 2009, 04:38 PM
I saw a swingaway, I forget the brand, that had an option to clip it to the tailgate so they opened together. I will see if I can find out who that was ... small company. Seemed kinda handy.

Found it.
http://www.junglejimsap.com/jeep.html

Janky
February 21st, 2009, 05:43 PM
I had to mount mine on top of the roll cage in the back. It got it out of the way... but everything else is negative... Including hoisting up the 155lb tire/wheel combo.

I don't have a top so, that is not a concern.

Blackisis
February 23rd, 2009, 04:26 PM
running a bar across where the rear seat used to be got my tire off the back and lower than jamming it up top on the cage. With a lock on it, and locking my tailgate all my tools are secure and I can strap a cooler to the tire if needed. This gives me the spare, secure storage, tailgate access, etc. 37" tire gives me plenty of room for the front seats to go all the way back. I also have a 15 gallon fuel cell under the tire, in the front half of the rear seat area with still plenty of storage for all the crap I carry.
Obviously this depends on your set-up, and if you use the back seat. It does help get rid of the rear-heavy weight when climbing, and put the spare weight over the springs and rear axle instead.
Just an idea.

Jefe
February 23rd, 2009, 05:01 PM
There is a guy I know that made a very stout custom carrier that mounted to the corner protection and the door. There was no load on the door at all, and you opened and closed the carrier just by opening the door. Kinda kewl setup.

Xtremjeepn-Cole Ford
February 23rd, 2009, 05:22 PM
Thanks.

On a JK there is storage under the floor so laying a spare in the back kinda screws that up. Also I carry 2 big dogs everywhere.

I really want STOCK type functionality with a big tire on the gate.

Steve
February 23rd, 2009, 05:27 PM
I really want STOCK type functionality with a big tire on the gate.

Cole, fabbing a carrier wouldn't be very hard. The problem is I'm sure the stock gate hinges, and maybe the latch, won't like that much weight hanging on them at all and won't last long. I haven't personally looked at the door hinge/latch setup on a JK so I'm not sure how you'd mitigate that problem and still look & function "stock."

Xtremjeepn-Cole Ford
February 23rd, 2009, 05:30 PM
I was simply thinking of making my own hinges that bolt to the stock locations.

Make them out of the same design we make the carriers out of with bearings for smooth action. Reinforce the body from behind. Make teh hinges such that they can support the entire weight of the tire by them selves, then simply attach them to the gate so the latch can hold it shut.

I was just hoping for other ideas.

This is basicly what Bestop did with their tire carrier, but used bushings instead of bearings. So it swings tight with a big tire.

Steve
February 23rd, 2009, 05:45 PM
The hinges would be way more work than the carrier itself.

newracer
February 23rd, 2009, 05:59 PM
If you had corner protection you could also bolt the hinges to that. The gate itself would still need to be reinforced.

RockYacht
February 24th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Cole,

Like this? :D http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=139833

Could be done with the JK, have to use AEVs corners to mount the pivots/latch off of.

IMO the JK tailgate is not up to the task, saw 2 different Jeeps out wheeling the past year that were carrying 35s on the gate and niether one survived bumping the tire dropping off a small ledge... One was really ugly it actually tweaked the tub... :eek:

JK's are a different animal, the best solution is still to use a bumper (read frame) mounted carrier IMO but I'm willing to adapt one of our TJ style carriers to your JK if you want to try it... ;)

Bob

deadjeep
February 24th, 2009, 10:34 PM
I remember seeing one where the owner had brought 2 tubes from the cage to the side of the tub with a plate on the end of the tubes. Had his swing away tied into that from the outside. He was running 37's

Xtremjeepn-Cole Ford
February 24th, 2009, 10:37 PM
What did you have in mind Bob?

longboy
February 25th, 2009, 09:12 AM
http://www.long-boy.com/images/JK/JK_tirecarrier.jpg

Xtremjeepn-Cole Ford
February 25th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Seems to kinda defeat the point of easier access.

longboy
February 25th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Just throwing out options.

Xtremjeepn-Cole Ford
February 25th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Thanks. The pics do give me ideas.

Mcstiff
March 4th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Parallelogram. I can see to to do it but cant draw it atm.

:edit:

So you start with a bumper pivot like normal (unless you have crusher corners) but instead of a latch you connect to the door with spherical joints set up so that the geometry sucks the tire in to a rubber bump stop.
Jeep
l____________l
l__________\_
l
WMS

:EDITEDIT:

If you run the bars around the outside you can get the tire up and in more. Crusher corners with a backing plate could get rid of the bumper mount for better options.

:EDITEDITEDIT:

You can probably use smaller Johnny Joints (2-3) to replace the stock hinges and cope with the weight of a spare. Hard to say what twisting would happen.

JimhatTJ
March 4th, 2009, 03:52 PM
if i was to ever run a tire carrier again i would build one like TNT's. its nice and out of the way.

with that said i love not having a tire carrier hanging off the back anymore, the weight of my 37 was tossing me around like crazy on the trails. now i just mount/strap it flat in the bed of the jeep.