PDA

View Full Version : Our New Toy

Hippie
February 19th, 2009, 08:24 PM
:DWell we are doing our part for the economy :D:flipoff2:

http://www.colorado4x4.org/gallery/files/4/0/5/2/img_3783.jpg

Scotty - she may not run down the straight with you but I'll run corners with you any day of the week :D she is pushing 14.2 lbs of boost with a water to air intercooler, coil overs, 4 piston brembos just to name a few :D oil temp is running 100 degrees when pushing her and she sound ssaweet

she hits 0- 60 in about 4 sec and pushes 100 plus in short order loving this thing so far :D:D:D

Steve
February 19th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Sweet car Jeff, those are fun. :thumbsup: When Kathy was looking it came down to a Mustang or a Mini Cooper S.

Oscar
February 19th, 2009, 09:02 PM
is bad to hate you.

Malamute
February 19th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Nice.

creepycrawler
February 19th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Not impressed with the ground clearance but nice departure angle. :thumbsup:

rubbersidedown
February 20th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Very nice! I have decided that a Cooper S will be the next car I own when the Heep is paid off! :thumbsup:

scottycards
February 20th, 2009, 05:42 AM
Completely awesome in every way. Man, great choice!

God, that's gotta be fun to drive around town. Total sleeper.

You are going to have so much fun in that puppy.

:hail::hail::hail: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

scottycards
February 20th, 2009, 05:43 AM
Oh, and you've gotta come along on one of our little drives we do during the summer. Steve will tell ya, we have a little fun.

Hippie
February 20th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Thanks all - we are loooooovvvvvvvving it so far :D:D

I really wanted an 06 but we could not find one we liked so we "settled" for an 04. When we looked at it and drove it I knew it had a few mods but did not realize the extent or quality :D:D.

Whoever had this before us did the upgrades right. I want to get it on a dyno after I go over it - I have been reading that cars with similar mods are pushing around 228 hp to the wheels. It does not sound like much but given the weight it is alot. When I put my foot in it you can hear the supercharger screaming :D. I got to take it to work yesterday and since I am covering a shift for one of my folks on vacation I start at 4am - when I hit the on ramp for 470 from Lucent I jumped on it and before I merged onto 470 west bound I was pushing 130mph :eek: and still had half of 5th gear and 6th gear left :eek:

scottycards
February 20th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Valentine One (http://www.valentine1.com/)

_CJ
February 20th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Very nice! I'd never guess there was such serious performance hiding under that low-key exterior.

Came down to a choice between a Mustang and a Mini for my wife too. She wanted the Mustang....Non-S vs. V6 though.

Mcstiff
February 20th, 2009, 09:04 AM
:drool: I want 14#s of boost!

ColoradoSkier
February 20th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Nice. How do they handle in snow? Not that we get that much here... :(

Steve
February 20th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Oh, and you've gotta come along on one of our little drives we do during the summer. Steve will tell ya, we have a little fun.

A little, yeah. :D

And a Valentine One is your friend. ;)

Hippie
February 20th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Scotty - yea looks like I need a Valentine and just let me know about the summer drives :drool::drool:

Rubberside - when you go to buy if you want I"ll share everything I found during my research and anything new I discover :thumbsup:

Skier - no clue on the snow driving but I intend to get a second set of rims and use the stockers for winter with green diamond tires.

BTW - also found out she is running Hotchkis adjustable, crommoly sway bars front & rear :D

I really need to get her on a Dyno to find out if she has been flashed

mdurbahn
February 20th, 2009, 06:43 PM
wow sounds fun, i didn't know they were that fast!

scottycards
February 22nd, 2009, 06:34 AM
It's been flashed- guarantee that, since it's got the blower on it. There's nothing stock about your fuel maps.

Great day for a drive today, if you're not already out there tearing up the roads!

Mack
February 22nd, 2009, 08:45 PM
It's been flashed- guarantee that, since it's got the blower on it. There's nothing stock about your fuel maps.

They came with a blower.

You should check to see if the pully has been swapped out, too. Another popular upgrade on those from what I hear....

scottycards
February 23rd, 2009, 05:23 AM
I didn't know they were blown from the factory. Seems like a lot of boost for a stock application.

I'm with Mack- sounds like it may have a pulley swap on it, which would take more fuel.

I found this Stage I package from Turner- it includes an ECU upgrade.....

The smaller supercharger pulley increases boost from a stock 10.5 to 14.5 lbs - this increased boost is especially noticeable at lower RPM, making your Mini S even more fun to drive than it is now. We are talking a gain of 30-34HP at the engine (or about 25-30hp at the wheels)!

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/project_mini.shtml

Maybe you've got this kit on yours?

Hippie
February 23rd, 2009, 07:10 AM
Mack is right the S model came stock with a blower pushing about 10 lbs of boost, starting in 07 the S model got changed to a turbo.

It does have cat back, 15% reduced pulley plus some more but not all of the "kits" come with a chip/programer and since you reflash the computer instead of a plug in type chip I won't know unless I can get the dealer to ask the previous owner or get her on a dyno.

I found a new mod I want to do over the weekend.

I need to add an electric water pump to free up a few more ponies :D. That and I am thinking about jumping to a 17 or 19% pulley since I have the upgraded water/air intercooler :D. I wonder how soon I will be posting up about having to replace the clutch :P

_CJ
February 23rd, 2009, 08:21 AM
I wonder how soon I will be posting up about having to replace the clutch :P

Or the head gasket! Carefull with that boost. 14lbs is pretty high as it is.

Steve
February 23rd, 2009, 08:26 AM
I need to add an electric water pump to free up a few more ponies :D.

I can't believe it frees up enough to make it worth the expense. :shrug:

I'm not sure I'd up the boost over where it already is, that's a lot unless it has upgraded head gaskets already to handle it.

Mcstiff
February 23rd, 2009, 09:11 AM
Go for 20 Go for 20! :D

scottycards
February 23rd, 2009, 09:23 AM
Hippie-

If I were you, and that's a scary thought, I'd get plugged into the Mini forums. Find out if they ECU is an open architecture kind of thing- will HP tuners, etc (I'm sure there's a much cooler "euro" version, called Zeipflinger Tunerhoffen or something- oh, and it'll cost twice as much...) :flipoff2: tune it, or is it a dealer-only deal?

But from there, you can probably pull the program you're running, and look at it vs. stock tune. I'm sure there are guys here in Denver that would be happy to plug in to your car and tell you what you have, etc.

Elec water pump? Shizzle.

_CJ
February 23rd, 2009, 09:31 AM
Found this info on a mini forum. The piston swap would be an interesting idea in conjunction with an e85 conversion. (e85 is 100+ octane)

"stock mini cooper s boost is 11.6 psi out of the factory and with the 19% pully it will up it to 14.6-15.6 psi. You will be around 200hp at the crank. If you want alot of power for the money, a stock mini cooper has 10.6:1 compression ratio and a Cooper S has 8.6:1 compression ratio. Buy a set of regular Cooper pistons and put them in the Cooper S."

Mcstiff
February 23rd, 2009, 09:39 AM
BOOOOOOO. Money would be better spent on maxing out the SC vs raising the CR. With a 8.6 CR I would be surprised if it could not handle 25#s with E85.

I do not know how good the rods are (BMW makes pretty stout engines from what I know) but (FWIW), a friend of mine just put down an uncorrected 326WHP 320WTQ with a 1.8T (Bone stock 99 A4 1.8T AEB, Fuel roughly E65, 2871 Elim, Stock EM, Custom intercooler, 2.5 turboback, 630cc Custom software, Boost 25 fading to 23, Dyno room ambient 71F).

If swapping SCs is unpossable, I have daydreamed about using some parts for the MY07+ TC'd MCS to TC a "1st GEN" MCS. Then you could get crazy :D

Twin Charger Kit W GT3071R! (http://www.jscspeed.com/mini/intercooler/alta_turbokit_coopers.htm) presents an interesting option but complex.

Steve
February 23rd, 2009, 09:43 AM
Go for 20 Go for 20! :D

Really. WTH was I thinking earlier. It's not mine. Go for at least 25# of boost. :D

xjmatt
February 23rd, 2009, 09:56 AM
Nice. How do they handle in snow? Not that we get that much here... :(

I pulled one out of what should have been an easy spot to get out of on the road out of the Mary Jane Parking lot at Winter Park a couple weeks ago. Of course he had pure summer tires on it and judging from how well he was polishing the snow under his tires I'm guessing winter driving wasn't his forte. At first I went to push him out but I was afraid of getting crushed between him and the snow bank the way he was driving.

I pulled him out with a Subaru Forester :D

Mcstiff
February 23rd, 2009, 09:58 AM
Just advocating for BOOST :D

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/drivetrain-cooper-s/163894-15-000-for-mods-what-do-i-get.html
http://www.motoringunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1202
http://www.eurotuner.com/featuredvehicles/eurp_0712_fireballed_2005_mini_cooper_s/index.html
We found a turbo is more efficient for more power than the supercharger. So we developed our own system around the factory components. The motor is low compression and uses forged rods and crank. As a safety margin, we used forged JE pistons for more durability since we needed a good base to build upon to handle the abuse we were going to put it through. We also needed to maximize what's there. After all, it's a Mini and things are smaller, so it's important to maximize flow and velocity......"With the turbo, intercooler, electronics and fuel management, the car has become fast and flexible," Hubie told us. "It still maintains the factory ECU, and we can still turn up the boost. This car represents a true tuner philosophy, using what's there and working with it." After the turbo conversion, the Widow was taken to the dyno and put down 478hp and 380 lb-ft.

After reading the Euro tuner I think, with a TC, you could shoot for 350whp on stock internals with a good tune and E85.

http://image.eurotuner.com/f/8390832/eurp_0712_17_z+fireballed_2005_mini_cooper_s+oriciari_cowl_vents_carbon_front_splitter_oe_aero_side_ skirts_water_to_air_intercooler.jpg

Leon Phelps
February 23rd, 2009, 11:18 AM
I suggest a 150 shot.

_CJ
February 23rd, 2009, 11:20 AM
Well, if practicality, reliability, and budget are of no concern......

http://www.max-boost.co.uk/max-boost/images/big_turbo.jpg

_CJ
February 23rd, 2009, 11:24 AM
Seriously though, how much power can a front drive car get to the ground with street tires?

Personally, I think the car is about perfect the way it sits.

I'd hate to see something like this happen to him.....

http://www.944enhancement.com/assets/images/cracked_block.jpg

http://www.max-boost.co.uk/max-boost/images/LET/melted_piston.jpg

Mcstiff
February 23rd, 2009, 11:48 AM
Damage from detonation/heat usually has more to do with bad tuning then anything.

Point being that with a good tune a 17-19% pulley should not be an issue.

The rest of my thoughts were just to show what was out there.

scottycards
February 23rd, 2009, 01:24 PM
My 1.8T ran ~26psi, and was bulletproof. Even on pump gas. Germans know how to build stout motors, no doubt. I was around 330hp in the Audi. APR stage III- modified K04, intake manifold, headers, cat back, injectors, ECU, dyno tune- I think that was it......

Is the cooper 2wd? Or Fwd? Transaxles that are common in fwd cars start reaching limits at ~350-400hp, then drivetrain upgrades will be in order.

I say run it like it is, and have fun with it.

Mcstiff
February 23rd, 2009, 01:57 PM
I say run it like it is, and have fun with it.

For sure! Realistically your going to be faster then most. I am having a TON of fun with a meager 175whp, I am sure that your MCSS is a blast!

Ze Germans do not F around with metallurgy it seems; people are making tons of power on stock bottom ends in 1.8Ts, VR6s, and 5cyls. BMW PPL seem to have good luck with boost as well. The fact that the rods are forged and the CR is pretty low as long as you avoided detonation and high EGTs I bet you could get pretty crazy with the stock bottom end. The HG would prob be the first issue (so long as your tune was good).

Putting the power down is probably a larger issue then making it. A LSD and upgraded clutch would be nearly required.

NE way, sound like a fun ride. I wonder how a tuned up version would do in NASA GTS :idea:

Steve
February 23rd, 2009, 02:03 PM
Don't remember what class they were in, but a Mini S won their class in both open road races we did last year in NV.

cheftyler
February 23rd, 2009, 02:16 PM
The mini is FWD, and a whole lot of fun :D

scottycards
February 23rd, 2009, 02:37 PM
BTW, Hippie.........if you've got a couple of extra days in April, and nothing to do, come drive your car at a buck twenty (or so) with us down the closed highway.....

BIG fun, dude. BIIIIIIIIIG fun.

Hippie
February 23rd, 2009, 04:38 PM
Scotty I have been all over the Mini boards for several months doing research before we bought :thumbsup: I need to find out on the computer though.

The elec water pump does free up a couple ponies but not much - the main reason for them on the Mini's is that the factory water pump is driven by gears coming out of the back of the SC and over time they are known to fail and eat the SC through the chain of events that follow the gear failure.

The Minis are FWD as already stated - most of them have a pretty aggresive limited slip from the factory - mine hooks up hard within half a second or less of wheel spin (launches) :D.

The internals are stout as McStiff already posted I have been reading about multiple people running a turbo in front of the blower and pushing upwards of 25 lbs peak boost on the stock stuff :eek: but that brings with it a whole different set of problems (like overheating) all on 91 or 93 octane.

McStiff - one of the nice things about the Mini is the computer will sense detonation and adjust the timing, etc to prevent - don't ask me how yet as I am still learning. I do know that 17% or 19% pulleys are ran pretty commonly without issues - other than the occasional number 2 spark plug being blown out of the head and stripping the threads - LOL (I guess this happens with some of the cheaper brands of plugs .

CJ -one of the links McStiff posted is of a guy running a turbo in front of the blower pushing over 300 HP to the ground running 12 - 13 second 1/4's - granted he has done allot of work but it is possible

and yea I plan on running as is for the most part since it is Rock Kittys DD now while I build her Jeep

Scotty - when in April & where - cause that sounds fun

Steve
February 23rd, 2009, 04:42 PM
Scotty - when in April & where - cause that sounds fun

Late April in TX. Even the drive down and back will be fun. ;)

http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=138959

Mack
February 23rd, 2009, 05:27 PM
I guess my roomate's brother just dynoed his- 15% pulley, Intake, Exhaust, and got 190WHP up here.

Mcstiff
February 23rd, 2009, 06:23 PM
S
McStiff - one of the nice things about the Mini is the computer will sense detonation and adjust the timing, etc to prevent - don't ask me how yet as I am still learning. I do know that 17% or 19% pulleys are ran pretty commonly without issues - other than the occasional number 2 spark plug being blown out of the head and stripping the threads - LOL (I guess this happens with some of the cheaper brands of plugs .

I'm sure the pulley will be fine but if you tune further keep in mind that if the knock sensor hears detonation it is detonating all-ready.

Hippie
February 25th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Scotty & Steve - ohhhhhh you Bastids - now I have to figure out a way to get the wife to let me go in April with her car :P

Mcstiff
February 25th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Sounds like you need to finish building her Jeep.

Hippie
March 7th, 2009, 05:31 PM
McStiff :flipoff2: yah, I know I need to finish it but something else has came up that will push it back unless I pay to have some of it done.

Mack - tell the brothers roomie to add some restriction back in to the cat back and he will gain a couple ponies from what I understand. These things are like Harley's they like some back pressure.

Check this out 337hp & 278ft.lbs (http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/drivetrain-cooper-s/164335-turbo-street-mini-337whp-278tq-16psi.html). of torque at 16lbs boost on stock compression running 91 octane pump gas in a car that weighs 2600 lbs :drool::drool::drool::drool:

Mcstiff
March 8th, 2009, 12:11 AM
UMMM HMMMMM I like dem GT3071. UMM HMMM