PDA

View Full Version : tuff truck challenge rules...

Yite Jeep
December 17th, 2008, 12:46 AM
So I saw a tuff truck comp. this weekend and want to enter one. I was wondering what are the rules for these things. I know it depends on where its at and who is hosting it, but I noticed that all the truck were running 2wd when they had 4wd trucks and the biggest motor was a v8, no boost or nos.

So my question is this...what are the common rules for these comps? Are they need 2wd only? Do you need a cage(i wouldnt compete with out one though)? Whats the bigest size motor/horsepower you can have?

Psychoneurosis
December 17th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Every promoter has their own rules but these are a good rule of thumb for a set of rules

http://www.familyevents.com/files/2007%20NMRO%20Rulebook.pdf

I have never seen a major race that allowed NOS or blowers. Too hard to control.

Most of the racers out here are 2wd but everything back east is 4wd. The one I am building for out here is 4wd

When I started racing there were a lot of big blocks but people have gotten away from them. I think it is due to additional weight of the BB and components and you can get good horsepower out of a small block

deadjeep
December 17th, 2008, 10:28 PM
I bet a bb is hell on the front suspension when you land

Yite Jeep
December 18th, 2008, 12:11 AM
Thanks. So it sounds like once I get the vehicle, I should keep it 4wd and eventually do a v8 swap. What about the rear axle. Ive seen alot of guys run open diffs. If I built my rear axle(truss it/new gears/locker or posi), could I still compete or is there limitations to that?

Psychoneurosis
December 18th, 2008, 03:09 PM
I would truss both axles. 100%. Four wheel drive is not a requirement for the shows out here. Should have posted that but just forgot.

Rear axle traction aids are personal preference, I don't ever recall seeing rules on that. Back east I run a gov lock, when it was built it did not have a ton of horsepower so you could push the front tires if you did not get it to slide going into a corner. That is no longer a problem but the posi spins everything good and hard still so it has stayed.

Yite Jeep
December 19th, 2008, 02:47 AM
Ok. Thanks for the reply's. I do appreciate them. This deff helps me get an idea of what to start with.