PDA

View Full Version : Sandhills Open Road Race Registration Open- 2009 Update with PICS

scottycards
October 9th, 2008, 10:09 AM
For anyone who might want to get their feet wet in Open Road Racing, the Sandills race in Arnold, NE is taking registration packets.

This road is shorter, and much lower speed than the Nevada events. Max tech speed is 140, and max average is 120 (unless you run Unlimited), so you don't need a fast ride to have a lot of fun. Very curvy road. The 100 class would provide tons of thrills- that road is even fun at 90 or 95.

Get on it, the race fills up FAST.

www.sorcrace.com

See you there. I was too much of a pansy to maintain a 120 average last year, so I'm going back to get that number.

Crossin' the finish line at a buck-fow-tee:
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u47/scottycards/SORCFinish.jpg

Steve
October 9th, 2008, 10:21 AM
If you don't need a navigator for this one again I might bring the Mustang out. :evil:

scottycards
October 9th, 2008, 10:27 AM
You have first dibs on Navigator for any race, Steve-O, but it would be a great event to run the 'Stang.

No rush to decide, the event isn't until next Aug. But get your entry in. You can always back out- there's a long waiting list each year in case someone cancels. This thing will sell out within a week.

scottycards
January 12th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Here is Ron Adee's record run up at Sandhills that he posted on the interweb.

Dude makes it look easy.

It ain't. In fact, it's incredibly difficult.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/SORC-2008-Ron-Adees-road_179618.htm

Camp
January 12th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Looks like fun. Maybe I'll drive up and watch you guys run when this one happens.

Steve
January 12th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Open road racing ain't much of a spectator sport. Notice the hordes of spectators in scotty's pic of the finish line in the OP. :spit:

Camp
January 12th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Open road racing ain't much of a spectator sport. Notice the hordes of spectators in scotty's pic of the finish line in the OP. :spit:

Yeah, I get that but, neither is the KOH race I am chasing for. Just getting to hang out, look at all the vehicles, and have a beer with everyone makes it worth the event. You can see in the video there are some spectator points along the course were cars are really smoke'n when they go by and I could see that being cool to see and hear.

Steve
January 12th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Yeah, I get that but, neither is the KOH race I am chasing for. Just getting to hang out, look at all the vehicles, and have a beer with everyone makes it worth the event. You can see in the video there are some spectator points along the course were cars are really smoke'n when they go by and I could see that being cool to see and hear.

Very true. They are great to go to just to see the cars if nothing else. :thumbsup:

scottycards
January 12th, 2009, 05:01 PM
You know what's really cool? I forgot the camera charger when I went to race with Steve, so we had no video from that event.

Bear in mind I went and bought a new HD camera this spring for the sole purpose of in-car vids.

Then, for the SORC, I left the camera mount back in CO.

Gotta tell you, scottycards is really on it when it comes to the in-car video stuff.

Steve
January 12th, 2009, 05:14 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I wasn't gonna mention that. :D

cheftyler
January 12th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Scotty...need me to write you a tech checklist for the races? :D

Mcstiff
January 13th, 2009, 11:09 AM
108 OCT limit? No E85?

scottycards
January 13th, 2009, 11:12 AM
108 OCT limit? No E85?

Huh? See something in the rules?

No one is testing fuel out at any of these events. I know some have to run fuel that's over 108, for sure. There are a few full race motors that always show up. I think most of them run ~114 leaded.

I'd be shocked if they had any objection to E85, particularly at the NE race (since it is the corn state)- you'd probably be a hero if you showed up with a corn-fueled car.

Mcstiff
January 13th, 2009, 11:13 AM
I guess it is just for the shootout

Fuel: No fuel may be added to the vehicles tank until after returning to Arnold via
prescribed return route. Fuel tanks may not be larger than original factory capacity.
Modified or kit cars are limited to fuel tanks no larger than 20 gallon capacity. Maximum
octane level is 103. Any competitor caught adding fuel or with a supplemental fuel system
will be immediately disqualified. Injection into the engine of any substance other than the
specified gasoline, diesel, propane, water, or nitrous oxide is not allowed.

It seems dumb to require a fire suit for 90 and 95 when they have the same tech speed as 80 :shrug:

scottycards
January 14th, 2009, 05:42 AM
Shootout is a totally seperate event. No relation to the race.

On that road, you're not going to crash at your tech speed, since the tech speeds are low- we can only run 140, for instance. That road has lots of blind hills and corners- that's where accidents happen, not the straights.

When you're running a higher average with the same tech speed, the only place you can make up time is in the turns, so the chances of crashing are much higher in the speed classes where your tech speed isn't much higher than your average- those are the classes where you have to push it in the turns.

I can speak from experience that maintaining a 120 average with a 140 tech on that road is very difficult. I couldn't do it last year on one leg. There's just not much time at 140, and there are many turns you can't take anywhere close to 120. The standing start is really an average killer, and there are two standing starts to be accounted for in each round-trip. You've gotta really HUMP down that road to keep the average speed up, as it's a very short run- only about 26 miles or so. It's tough.

I think the rules are solid, and justified. You just have to read into the "why" a bit.

Single layer suits are cheap. Burning yourself is horrible. I always tell people to run more saftey gear than the minimum. For this reason, I run arm restraints and I got a Hutchens device this year (better for side impacts than a HANS). In the past, I've borrowed head/neck systems, since I didn't own one. One guy rolled his NASCAR Cup Car two years ago, arm came out the window, and it's permanently jacked up. Young guy. Pretty tragic, considering a $25 pair of arm restraints would have prevented his permanent disability.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u47/scottycards/SORC%20Party%202008/P2090054.jpg

It's important to keep in mind, Rodger Ward, the Indy 500 winner, and founder of open road racing, always used to say that ORR is the most dangerous form of racing. There are no barriers to bump off of, and medical attention might by half an hour from arriving at your crash. It's not a track, where there's a fire crew and ambulance 30 seconds away. You go off the road at 100, like this guy did, and you're in trouble. The car is gonna roll, and hit anything in it's path. Rocks, ditches, embankments, whatever. It's not a smooth landing.

Camp
January 14th, 2009, 07:14 AM
I'd really like to go run this event but, I just don't think it is in the cards for me this year. I have too many other things I need to pay for right and so between entry fees and safety gear that I would want, it isn't going to happen. Besides, I've been toying with building a track motor for my car so, it would be a lot more fun to slide that in next year and be ready to go. I'm thinking somewhere around 450 - 500hp for the track motor should be fun :evil:

Mcstiff
January 14th, 2009, 07:58 AM
I would prefer to be more safe then less as well. I really have nothing afa gear for racing since my only "racing" has been autoX borrowing helments and rental karts. I'm going to stay on the track this year and maybe run ORR 2010.

Steve
January 14th, 2009, 02:56 PM
No arm restraints in the speed class he runs? Not smart at all.

scottycards
August 9th, 2009, 06:22 AM
Ron Adee ran 224mph in the mile.

It was unreal. Twin turbo CHEVY smallblock in a "Viper".

We ran 159.4. Several cars over 170. Here is a photo of us at the finish of the mile Shootout.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u47/scottycards/DSC01615.jpg

Road race was super fun. A couple of off-road incidents, but as far as I know, everyone was OK, and the event was a success.

Leaving the start line for the Northbound run. We were a couple seconds fast on Leg 1, averaging just over 120. We didn't stay around for results, but we were several seconds off, so we were most likely out of the money for trophies. Our intent was to finish safe and have fun, and it was mission accomplished.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u47/scottycards/DSC01646.jpg

Ted's GT in the mile- it's got a whipple on it, and puts about 750 to the ground. He ran 189:

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u47/scottycards/DSC01621.jpg

redcj7
August 9th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Glad you had fun. Makes me look forward to next year's BBORR.

I go to the Texas Mile in October and hope for something near 175-180. Ted's Whipple puts out more power than I have, so will be interesting to see what an almost stock GT will do.

Mcstiff
August 10th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Looks like a lot more fun then restoring paint :D