PDA

View Full Version : Pitbull Rockers

Swat
September 26th, 2008, 12:44 PM
I deleted my prior post. It was long, rambling, and headed south. I purchased some 39.5X16.5-15 Rockers. They come-up a little short for the diameter I had hoped for. Call them, they will give actual dimensions. All tires I know of and have had do come up short of advertised dimensions. Pitbull claimed a better ride on the street than other similar tires. That has not been my experience. They flat spot within 4 hours and I would not recommend them for a daily driven vehicle unless you will put up with the first few miles of driving through the flat spots. In comparison to the 39.5 X13.5-15 Iroks I replaced with these I would say they are comparable in ride, though the Iroks did not flat spot at the same air pressure and the Rockers are shorter. If I were to buy again I would probably size-up to get what I wanted (42 vs 39.5). Perhaps the 42's at an inch less in width would flat spot less as I could run more air pressure and still get a good contact pattern for wear. My experience is effected by the fact that they are mounted on 8" beadlocks which should be about a 9" wide rim. The manufacturer suggested a 10" wide rim.

I have not had them offroad, but have heard and read nothing but awsome comments about their trail abilities.

A few pics:

Next to my Irok spare on a 10": rim:
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/674164/fullsize/dscn3492.jpg

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/672811/fullsize/dscn3465.jpg

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/672812/fullsize/dscn3466.jpg

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/673668/fullsize/dscn3477.jpg

Steve
September 26th, 2008, 02:17 PM
I didn't think the other thread was headed south, but thanks for posting this. :thumbsup: I'll be in the market for new tires in a few months, probably bias ply and probably in the 39-40" size range, so I can take this one off my list of possibilities.

Swat
September 26th, 2008, 02:35 PM
I didn't think the other thread was headed south, but thanks for posting this. :thumbsup: I'll be in the market for new tires in a few months, probably bias ply and probably in the 39-40" size range, so I can take this one off my list of possibilities.

Nothing directed at you or any other poster. Hell, I had rambled on for pages and pages and thought it really needed to be summarized. Sorry that also included taking down others posts. There was a consensus from a few poster that these run a little short and that they flat spot. Nothing out of the ordinary for a bias ply tire. The real review will come when I get them out on a trail.

The more I think about it and have learned about tires this week, the flat spotting is related to running less air pressure.

Swat
September 26th, 2008, 03:14 PM

You might not want to do that just yet based upon my one experience!:)

I left a mesage for the owner of Pitbull this morning. He got back to me this afternoon. Wow, Does this man wants you to be satisfied with his tires! He has worked out a deal for a local to get the tires from me, will get me a refund, and a credit for the shipping.:hail: I can't believe it! The local will also give him another opinion on this set of tires and they may still go back to the manufacturer to be checked-out.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

We had another discussion that was oriented toward problem solving. It was a positive discussion again about solutions and what may have gone wrong. He can only guess that these may have the wrong size stamped on them. I again brought-up the fact that I had these mounted on a narrower rim and that would also contribute to the shorter status of these. We also know that running lower pressure will increase flat spotting as I suggested in an above post.

He is willing to sell me some 42X15.5-15's. I am going to give the Rockers another shot and will go to 10" beadlocks if not satisfied with how they sit on my current rims.

Wild Hare
September 26th, 2008, 03:22 PM
you really should run a wider wheel for that wide of a tire. you will definately wear out the center of the tire pretty quick unless you run at 5psi on pavement

SSII
September 26th, 2008, 06:44 PM
You might not want to do that just yet based upon my one experience!:)

I left a mesage for the owner of Pitbull this morning. He got back to me this afternoon. Wow, Does this man wants you to be satisfied with his tires! He has worked out a deal for a local to get the tires from me, will get me a refund, and a credit for the shipping.:hail: I can't believe it! The local will also give him another opinion on this set of tires and they may still go back to the manufacturer to be checked-out.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

We had another discussion that was oriented toward problem solving. It was a positive discussion again about solutions and what may have gone wrong. He can only guess that these may have the wrong size stamped on them. I again brought-up the fact that I had these mounted on a narrower rim and that would also contribute to the shorter status of these. We also know that running lower pressure will increase flat spotting as I suggested in an above post.

He is willing to sell me some 42X15.5-15's. I am going to give the Rockers another shot and will go to 10" beadlocks if not satisfied with how they sit on my current l rims.

Since I never have ran or seen anyone running the Pitbulls other than me, I can't comment on any tire sizes for the Rockers other than 42s. I have been testing the 42s since April. I have one of the 1st two sets made. I have ran other tires including 42" Iroks and 39.5 Boggers up to last April. I destroyed two 42" Iroks the 1st time out on a trail in AZ. I went back to the Boggers and then got the Rockers. That is why I'll never run Iroks again. After-all, a tire that holds air is better than tires that tears all to hell and go flat the 1st time you run them.

My rig weighs 5780 lbs. For road use I run them at 25-30 psi on a 12" wide wheel. I would say if your only into Rocks, run a 10" wide wheel. The flat spotting is gone in less than a mile for me. I have tried, very hard at times to destroy these tires. I have a spare. I even purposely ran them into the same rock that destroyed a friends MTR. All I accomplished was scratching up the beadlock. The tire was slightly scuffed.

My tires have been perfect. I have ZERO complaints. Yes, I would absolutely without a second thought buy another set of 42" Rockers or preferably larger. I am that pleased. I can afford to buy what I want, so money isn't an issue to me. A tire that lasts and work very well in ALL terrain is for me. No vibes, No, I didn't even try to balance them. Yes, I have been up past 85 mph too.

As for service with Pit Bull, Mike has been extremely helpful and sincere in his endeavors to produce a better off-road tire. When I was in Moab testing these tires, we were in constant communication and shared information daily. I am convinced Mike is completely honest in his strive for producing an excellent off-road tire. I deal with vendors and manufacturers everyday, all over the world. I know no vendor that sells any product or manufacturer that equals the effort that Mike at Pit Bull puts out to please you. It is amazing to say the least.
Hell, even my Wife is happy with the tires. I told her Mike will buy the tires back if we don't like them. As she said, "No, we are definitely keeping them".

Swat
September 29th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Hot damn! My credit card was credited today for the 39.5's and the new 42's are on the way!:thumbsup::beer::thumbsup:

scottycards
September 29th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Hot damn! My credit card was credited today for the 39.5's and the new 42's are on the way!:thumbsup::beer::thumbsup:

Nice! Even if they don't measure 42", you're now one of the cool guys runnin fowdees.

:hail::hail::hail:

Glad this is working out. Kudos to Pit Bull for standing up and working with you on this.

Swat
October 3rd, 2008, 02:18 PM
I have got eight tires on my rig! Pics laterz........no time till I get off work and home.

Anybody want to come by and sniff some fresh tars???? I'll be quaffing beerz and wrestling 42's!

Swat
October 3rd, 2008, 07:10 PM
Irok, 39.5X13.5-15, 20psi on 15X10 Rim Next to a 42X15-15 Rocker at the same pressure on a 15X9-15 beadlock. My son holding tires at 90 lbs, 5"1" growing like a beanstalk and eating like a Bear!

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/676535/fullsize/dscn3504.jpg

39.5X16.5-15 Rocker and a 42X15-15 Rocker both unmounted.
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/676536/fullsize/dscn3506.jpg

I got two more to mounts and three more beers to drink! Testing & more pics tomorrows!

Swat
October 3rd, 2008, 11:36 PM
Wow, finally looks like a little meat on the Carcass. These are measuring up to 41" on the 15X9" beadlocks and 40" on the rig (both measurements taken at 20lbs). The 39.5X16.5-15 measured 37" on the same rims and lost the same inch under load on the rig.
42X15-15's
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/676767/fullsize/dscn3514.jpg

39.5X16.5-15's
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/672812/fullsize/dscn3466.jpg

Swat
October 5th, 2008, 07:34 AM
These tars are huge!

I had to do some other stuff yesterday but am getting back to the rig this morning. I am doing a quick temporary mod to the sliders up front to clear these tars! These tires do grow a bit and stretch/break-in to ride better after they have had a day under full pressure. They have been aired up since friday night. I'll get the cage mods done this morning air them down to 20lbs, go for a test ride, and chalk the tread to check the contact pattern.................

Swat
October 6th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Flat spotting this am at 20lbs but it went away within a couple of miles and I beleive it will get better as the tires soften up/break-in a bit. I did have them aired-up to 30lbs for two days to stretch them some. Pitbull reccomends at least a day at full pressure. It does make a differenece in that the flat spotting is not as bad and goes away faster.

I took a quick run out to flex it out on a large rock and the tires lost the flat spot quick yesterday afternoon as it was warmer. These run very nicely down the road (nice for a 40" tire), the same as the Iroks but are quieter. The Irok utilizes two steel belts under the tread. These Rockers use nylon so should wrap around the rocks better and which is probably why they flat spot. I balanced them with 16 oz's of zinc coated .177cal BB's. Tonight I'll check them for roundness laterally and radialy. When I flexed it out it looks like I need to move the front bump stops 1/2" so these monsters don't eat my fenders and firewall. The real testing comes when I get it out to a trail! Hell I can roll under the diffs on my creeper even with my beer belly!

scottycards
October 6th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Awesome. The big tires look ten times better.

Good thread.

Swat
October 9th, 2008, 02:08 PM
I drove up through Turkey Creek to Conifer this morning for work and back this afternoon. First time on a curvy highway with these tars and they do handle better. No Porsche,:P but they do go through the turns better, like a radial compaired to a bias in difference between the Irok bias plys I had and these Rockers. They like to turn better.:thumbsup:

74BuckinBronc
October 9th, 2008, 02:29 PM
So all is not lost. If they come out with some narrower tires I'd like to try 'em, but I don't like the huge wide ones. Let us know how they do on the trail!

J.D.

Swat
October 13th, 2008, 09:04 AM
So all is not lost. If they come out with some narrower tires I'd like to try 'em, but I don't like the huge wide ones. Let us know how they do on the trail!

J.D.

Look at the pic next to the 39.5X13.5 Irok The 42X15 Rocker is not that wide. I think it would be cool if they made a 39.5X15 Rocker.

I hope to get out this coming week end.

74BuckinBronc
October 13th, 2008, 09:27 AM
I guess you're right, that aspect ratio (?) seems to be balanced on the 42's, but not for the 39's.

J.D.

SSII
October 13th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Look at the pic next to the 39.5X13.5 Irok The 42X15 Rocker is not that wide. I think it would be cool if they made a 39.5X15 Rocker.

I hope to get out this coming week end.

Start at about 5psi off-road and get them broke in. Then you will be happy. :)

ScaldedDog
October 14th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Hey Chris, I just saw you a little bit ago sitting at a light. Those 42's look nice!!!!!

Mark

wileec
October 16th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Chris,
I can not wait to see those beasts on the trail. Looks real good in pictures.

Swat
November 3rd, 2008, 10:06 AM
I got a great deal on some 40" Goodyear MT/R Radials and am much happier with the ride for the daily drive.

I have heard nothing but good about the Rockers for the trailz!

Maybe I'll get out and actually get a chance to wheel the Rockers some day.

Swat.

74BuckinBronc
November 3rd, 2008, 10:09 AM
Wow, ok! So how do the MTR's compare to a true 40" tall? Or did you start another thread for that?

J.D.

Swat
December 18th, 2008, 09:04 AM
:shrug: I got nothing.

I'll not take the Rockers offroad so I can't add to this review. I found a great deal on four new 40" MT/R's to go with the old set I also bought. That gives me plenty of extra's if I rip a sidewall on an extreme trail as can happen with the MT/R's. I am sure of the Rockers offroad, but daily drive my rig a short distance and out to trails. I am also sure I am compromising offroad/trail ability with the MT/R's over the Rockers. No further review here from me though I know Scaldeddog has some new 39's to try out.

isotel
December 23rd, 2008, 10:56 AM
My Rockers are Great on the trail! But ive got the same issue with flat spots, im sure its Real bad now in the cold, but i don't drive it that much on the street..

They Love to be aired way down, they work good at 5psi and lower. but ive lost a few Beads without Locks.. I cant get them to Balance Properly, got them Used, and they have some strange wear patterns probably from a rig that was not aligned properly..

I would not recommend them unless its a trail rig only