PDA

View Full Version : I need to start a build up...for tough truck

Yite Jeep
September 4th, 2008, 09:36 PM
So ive been wanting to start a build up for tough truck compititions. Im looking for a cheap, reliable (I understand that jumping it every weekend will not make it reliable, but I do want a strong truck to start with), good starters truck, and a truck with a good set up. Ive been thinking about a k5 blazer (strong and cheap and easy to modify and a v8), or an 80's-90's bronco (they have that scissor axle/ttb front axle, (ive heard that will work good), not to hard to modify, cheap, v8). But ive also thought about going with a 2wd ranger or 80's toyota pickup (once i find out where on the web to get it, i know theres a long list of after market baja/jumping parts for these two trucks. Since some of you guys do this, what do you think would be a good truck to go with? (out of these trucks, or any other trucks i might not know of)

Also, if you want, feel free to post a pic of your baja/tough truck rig

Thanks everyone for your help and advise.

mattpenhollow
September 5th, 2008, 01:24 AM
hard to beat a blazer or chevy pickup with a 350 for all around cheap performance.

Psychoneurosis
September 5th, 2008, 06:32 AM
First off invest in a good helmet, neck collar, seat, harness and if possible a cage. I have seen a lot of people really mess themselves up permanently since I started racing with injuries a few hundred dollars in gear would have prevented. Just not smart

Maybe the easiest starter tough truck would be a 4.0 Cherokee with an auto, there seems to be tons of them around. The small lift kits give you much stronger link arms for the front end and you can find the kits used pretty easily. While you are installing it you can check the axle mount points, they seem to fail somewhat commonly but that could the rust. (All my racing has been in the northeast)

Granted the 4.0 is not a small block but the truck is a lot smaller and I have seen these really do well with some front end trussing. If you want to keep going you can upgrade the unibody or just buy something else.

Either a Bronco or a blazer would be a good start too with more long term upgrade ability than the cherokee. Fuel injection would be good if you can find it so you don't need to mess with getting your carb to work. The Bronco front end will give you more wheel travel with a little lift but they are hard to truss and will bend.

The chevy frontend needs a bunch of trussing but is very strong once it is done. I run a 10 bolt chevy front end in my LC and our other truck is an 85 Blazer with a few mods. :D. It is still on 10 bolts

jrvyota
September 5th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Lets see, All that where mentioned are very good. There is tons of aftermarket for the 2wd and 4wd toyotas and rangers. Kinda spendy though. You could build a 2wd toyota with long travel but the average kits start at $2000 not including shocks. Or a K5 2wd are pretty common in the dessert scene, pretty easy to up grade. But you may want to stay 4wd for more speed on the smaller tracks. If I where going to do it I would pick up a mid 80 2wd toyota and start swapping parts. Put in a late model V6. Fiberglass front and rear. Rear deaver springs and a late model v6 rear axel. for the front I would either build custome or go to, like Downey, Total chaos, Or JD fab and buy a long travel kit. Full 16 point roll cage. And the best shocks and bumps i could afford.

Yite Jeep
September 10th, 2008, 02:05 AM
Wow, thanks everyone for your help. I appreciate the info you guys are giving me. Its very helpfull. Any more info will be great, but I think I have enough info to go more into making a choice on what rig to start with. So again, thanks everyone.

Psychoneurosis
September 10th, 2008, 08:42 AM
If you find something in particular that you want to build, throw it up. Opinions are free. :D

DANGERRANGER
September 25th, 2008, 07:11 AM
2wd ranger. then take a look at www.camburg.com

JPGUY
September 30th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Ummm why would you put Camburg stuff on a "tough truck"? The first part of the post read looking for a "cheap".......right there you are missing the whole point.