View Full Version : Picked up my Triumph Speed Triple from powder coat(pics)

Xtremjeepn-Cole Ford
August 10th, 2008, 11:24 PM
Picked up the frame and misc parts from the powder coater today.

Body work is at the paint shop still.

Time to start putting it back together.

Pictures were taken at 10:00PM in my garage so not the best lighting. (and my stained orange floor does not help the colors)

Frame/subframe and wheels are a champaign gold. Everything else is a textured black.

Motor all freshly painted and ready to go back together. (not the best picture)

August 10th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Should look sweet!

Xtremjeepn-Cole Ford
August 10th, 2008, 11:40 PM

Paint is going to be a really dark green metallic British Racing Green.

August 11th, 2008, 12:30 PM

Xtremjeepn-Cole Ford
August 11th, 2008, 11:35 PM

Haire Ball
August 16th, 2008, 03:54 PM
WOW. That thing looks great!

August 20th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Wow, definitely a great looking bike- no wonder your ol' lady has already laid claim to it!

Xtremjeepn-Cole Ford
August 20th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Thanks Mack. Think we will both like it when it is done.

August 29th, 2008, 09:28 AM
very very nice... that looks like my upcoming winter project... taking every bit of silver off of my triple and doing the black powder coat thing as well.

Xtremjeepn-Cole Ford
August 29th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Picked up the body work from paint today. Matt's guysat M&M in Aurora, CO did a awesome job. Paint is actually a 2008 Porsche Color.

There is no way my camera is going to do this paint any justice. But here it is anyway.

(Still waiting on a bearing to be able to assemble the swingarm and the rest of the bike).

August 30th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Looking good! That's gonna be nice!

Xtremjeepn-Cole Ford
November 25th, 2008, 10:59 PM
With a little help from Scott at Rockstomper I cured my swingarm bearing issue and finally got the speed triple off of the engine hoist tonight.

Still need to do a lot to it, but it was nice to see it on the wheels.

Forgive the mess, there has been an engine hoist in the way for months. It is cleaner now.

November 26th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Looks good. Now if only we could get a warm day so you could go for a ride on it :D It was 13F at my house this morning....

Xtremjeepn-Cole Ford
November 26th, 2008, 10:19 AM
I rode the R1 yesterday and plan to ride it some today!

Your house is just too cold!

Xtremjeepn-Cole Ford
November 26th, 2008, 11:21 PM
Waiting on a bunch of misc parts to arrive to put the rest toghther.

Need to find a coil plug but am having zero luck.

Had time to work on it today.........but it was 66 degrees and sunny here in Colorado so I decided to put off working on the Speedy until another day and took the R1 for a very nice long ride. ;)

I did at least roll it outside and take a camera phone pic. Wish I could have got the sun on the paint, it is sooooo sexy in the sun.

December 15th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Once it warms up we should go for a ride!:thumbsup:

Xtremjeepn-Cole Ford
December 15th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Anytime!!! Just picked up a 2004 SV650 for the girlfriend and sold her FZ600.

Xtremjeepn-Cole Ford
December 15th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Would like some feedback, suggestions, etc from you guys.

Luimoto (luimoto.com) is working on some custom seats for the Speedy project. They currently do not offer Triumph Speed Triple seats (but probably will after doing mine since they have mine to modle off of)

Here are a couple of renderings. Which option do you like best? (I think the gold color is actually tan, just looks gold in the renderings, you can go to Luimotos site and see some of their other work to get an idea. I have one of their seats on my R1 and love it)

Option 1

Option 2

December 15th, 2008, 08:30 PM
option 1

December 16th, 2008, 01:13 AM
Quick Sketch:

The passenger pad is Dk Green on top with the tan/gold on the side and the drivers seat is black CF with tan/gold sides (could be drk green as well but that might be too much. The I like the old MV Agusta with the contrasting drivers seat and monotone pass pad.)

Ideally the tan/gold would be ~ the width of the frame tube and the front half purposely does not blend exactly into the rear (swoopy like the frame)

Xtremjeepn-Cole Ford
December 16th, 2008, 09:27 AM

December 16th, 2008, 11:00 AM
You could also invert the colors on the pass pad (green sides, tan/gold top).

December 17th, 2008, 12:14 PM
I actually like Mcstiff's idea of the frame width gold, but I'd go with all green and not a contrast green and black. That is, if the green closely matches the paint. If you can't get it that color, then I'd go with the gold and black.

Xtremjeepn-Cole Ford
March 10th, 2009, 01:05 PM
The Speedy project has been moving kinda slow.

It is over at TFOG Wheelsports having an electrical glitch debugged. :rolleyes:

Hoping to get it fired up and ridable soon!!!! Then I can work on all the real details of making this bike something cool.

I got the seats back from Luimoto today. I have been VERY excited about this. Since the bike is not here I set them on the tail section to snap some quick pics to give everyone an update. (they will obviously fit better when actually locked onto the bike).

March 11th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Looks like top notch upholstery work! :thumbsup: