PDA

View Full Version : Rubicon Express vs Alcan

griff
March 18th, 2008, 02:17 PM
I was impressed enought I figured I'd write up a quick thread......

So I upgraded my YJ with a RE 4.5" lift and also did a swap of the D35 to a Ford 8.8 at the same time. Long story short, due to the tube size of the 8.8 and the fact I am SUA the back sagged about 1.5" lower than the front. I am pretty picky so I ordered a set of Alcan springs to even the Jeep out.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE!

The Alcan springs are like riding on air compared to the RE springs and you can really feel the difference in their action. I now have RE springs up front and Alcan's on the back and I can completely tell the difference in them.

Like I said I figured I'd do a write up in case someone is on the edge about spending a little extra on a set of Alcan springs.

NismoFreak
March 18th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Yea Alcan is one of the best spring companies in the country. I've got em front and rear - the quality is incredible...

crzyxj
March 19th, 2008, 02:09 PM
I agree you can't go wrong with quality, and they have awesome customer service, I have been running them for two years now.

Frank Z
March 19th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Alcans (www.bigoffroad.com) on my heep replaced RE springs.

1973CJ5
March 20th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Agreed, put Alcans on the front of mine early last year and love them. I went with the orbit eyes as well. The flex is amazing and the ride is smooth. I would definitely recommend them to anyone running leafs.

tantonio
March 25th, 2008, 09:06 PM
no comparison...alcan..

Rk Crlr
March 25th, 2008, 10:59 PM
ballpark price of them?
I need new springs for at least my front. Running doubled up stock YJ springs now.
They are holding up fine in the rear. front is a different matter tho. :)

BlazerZR2
March 26th, 2008, 06:26 AM
Waggy leafs suck, I need a set of alcan's. Are the orbit eyes worth it? It's either this or I link it.

1973CJ5
March 26th, 2008, 08:18 AM
I was running Waggy springs before and went through a set a year. So far the Alcans have been holding up great, and work great with the orbit eye. They are expensive for a leaf (with the orbit), but I now have a year's worth of driving and wheeling on them and they show no sign of sagging yet.

griff
March 26th, 2008, 03:17 PM
ballpark price of them?
I need new springs for at least my front. Running doubled up stock YJ springs now.
They are holding up fine in the rear. front is a different matter tho. :)

about 200 a corner...not bad for a set of custom built springs if you ask me.

tantonio
March 26th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Ridiculous how great their stuff is...have em on all corners of my SO and SR'd YJ....outflex a lot of the TJ boys with no problem...pisses em off but it's all Jeep thangs..

Jeep-in-dna
March 28th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Pretty impressed with mine. Been running them for about 2 years without any issues. I snapped some waggy's in the past and didn't want to have to deal with that again on the trail so I had some built by alcan. I don't have orbit eyes but have been thinking about picking up a set to extend the life of 'em. I'd say they flex pretty well:
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c45/Jeep-in-dna/Sidewinder24.jpg

CUBoulder96XJ
April 6th, 2008, 01:19 AM
another vote for Alcans, best money ive spent on my jeep yet, they flex well and haven't lost any lift whatsoever in over a year of hard wheeling and hauling stuff around.

planefixer
April 6th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Alcans (www.bigoffroad.com (http://www.bigoffroad.com)) on my heep replaced RE springs.

x2.Couldn't be happier.:thumbsup:

Wally
April 8th, 2008, 07:51 AM
ran alcans on my old YJ for 4 years, GREAT spring, Carrie still has alcans SUA in the rear of her YJ and they work awesome, there's just NO COMPARISON

guapotaco
April 9th, 2008, 06:54 PM
I've had f/r sets on my rig for 4 years and still going strong, they flex like mad, i did replace the bushings once already, but thats it, alcans are great, and they are nice guys too

MikeyG
April 17th, 2008, 10:00 AM
I have been looking into converting my 4" SUA to an SOA system but did not know which springs to go with...Rubicon Express or Alcan. After reading these threads I am now going with the Alcans.

strom911
April 18th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Went from RE to Alcan. Best decision so far. IMO- I would not say that the RE are bad, just not as good as Alcan.

MikeyG
April 26th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Purchased the Alcans (1.5" lift +SOA) this week with the Orbit-eye bushings. Going to be sweet!:D