PDA

View Full Version : Magazines on DVD ROM?

ZappBranigan
March 4th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Just saw this on another site:

http://www.amazon.com/GIT-Corp-90012-National-Lampoon/dp/B000VPNSJY/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1204655205&sr=8-2

I've been a huge National Lampoon fan for years - probably because I was in high school in the 70's so I'm the right demographic (for those too young to remember the National Lampoon was the "South Park" of its day in terms of trying to push the limits of acceptable social discourse.) Most people nowadays associate NatLamp with movies like Animal House and Van Wilder, but the movies were really outside the scope of most of what NatLamp did (for example, the original story of National Lampoon's Vacation that appeared in the magazine was actually much darker and grimmer than the slapstick Chevy Chase movie.)

But that's not what I wanted to comment on. I'm sure I'm not the only one who grew up reading various car and 4x4 magazines, and almost all of them are long gone now, consigned to the dumpster after a move or just tossed out at the end of the month.

I've often wondered if anyone would find any way to make money by scanning and digitizing these magazines. Magazines, like newspapers, are very temporal by their nature and looking at an old magazine, complete with its letters to the editor and advertisements, is like stepping back in time. You can see by the way the magazine is laid out, by the advertisements and the articles, what life was like when the magazine was printed, and what things were considered important.

Anyway, I don't know of any other magazines that have been saved on DVD ROM especially old 4x4 magazines.

Anybody else remember Pickup, Van and 4wd? :D Off Road Vehicles? Those two and "Four Wheeler" were the "big 3" 4x4 magazines when I was a teenager, but it seems like only Four Wheeler is left.

Brutus
March 4th, 2008, 02:17 PM
copyright infringement if you tried to sell it. Not a bad idea for personal/friends use.

Tom N
March 4th, 2008, 02:35 PM
I have the picture disc LP Album of "That's not funny, That's sick." All time great twisted humor.

denverd0n
March 4th, 2008, 03:41 PM
copyright infringement if you tried to sell it. Not a bad idea for personal/friends use.
It's also copyright infringement if you give it away to friends, relatives, whoever. Any unauthorized distribution of copies--whether for profit or not--is a copyright infringement (assuming that the things you're copying aren't so old that they are already in the public domain).

ZappBranigan
March 4th, 2008, 04:47 PM

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. What I meant was whether anyone knew of a publisher who was doing this, legally, in the same way that National Lampoon did. AFAIK the publisher still holds the rights to the material in the magazines.

I know I'm not the only one out there who likes old car/4x4 mags, that's why I was wondering...

Yota
March 4th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Actually, Google has a project going right now that does exactly that - they're scanning all kinds of stuff. Google believes not so much in the ownership of the information but in the packaging and utility of the information. Hence Google, Google Earth, Google Maps and lots of other stuff they've done.

They wanted to make all kinds of copyrighted material available perhaps with ads in them (reading Tom Sawyer? How about an ad for Mississippi Riverboat tours, etc.).

But Google has hit a snag in that project last I heard and it is because all that material is copyrighted. They have yet to figure out how to deal with that.

Anyway, I forget the name of that project but I heard about it on Rosen I think. Pretty cool in concept but waaaay too many interested parties I'm afraid. Still, if there is money to be made, they will find a way around the problems.

Brutus
March 5th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. What I meant was whether anyone knew of a publisher who was doing this, legally, in the same way that National Lampoon did. AFAIK the publisher still holds the rights to the material in the magazines.

I know I'm not the only one out there who likes old car/4x4 mags, that's why I was wondering...

I haven't heard/read anything about it but I am sure they will probably shoot the idea down because it then becomes a digital media and can be passed very easily online in violation of copyright laws.