PDA

View Full Version : Dakan RD

Jers79CJ
July 17th, 2004, 09:43 PM
I ran Dakan Rd this weekend and the portion that used to go down to the ice caves is now permanently closed as of about 3 weeks ago. I spoke to a Forest Ranger up there and he said it was due to people going through the mud bogs! Now the hike into the caves is about 4 miles!

Big Dave
July 18th, 2004, 01:55 AM
There's ice caves down there?!?!?!? All I remember is the two rock quarrys. There's the big one to the west of the trail, and then the cool quartz looking one that overlooked Castle Rock.

80cj7
July 22nd, 2004, 04:35 PM
Are you talking about the trail that goes downhill and then accross the stream then hooks left and goes for a while until it hits a dead end? I heard about the closure last fall, and to be honest I cant say I'm suprised. Last time I was there I saw:
A stolen XJ that had been rolled down a hill and then trashed
Tires in the mudpit
Broken tow straps in the mud pit
The mudpit itself had gone from 1 path approx 8 ft wide to the whole area being torn up(not that the mudpit should have been there in the first place)
Broken beer bottles
Trash, tons of it
Lots of ammo brass

I knew it was no use when I called up the FS and police about the XJ and nobody seemed to care(I even offered to trailer it outta there). I was told that they were closing the area after last season.

EDIT: I was up at rampart last weekend and talked to the ranger in charge of Watson Park. He said they closed it because it had become really bad. He was hoping to get some money from the FS to open it again though...

PS It turns out the cherokee was not stolen, it broke down and was vandalized heavily within a day or two of being left up there.