PDA

View Full Version : Talking to our future about danger....

Trango
March 3rd, 2008, 01:44 PM
No, I'm not talking about Stranger Danger. :)

Whitepaper on Aboveground Markers placed atop a nuclear waste repository:
http://www.prod.sandia.gov/cgi-bin/techlib/access-control.pl/1992/921382.pdf

I remember reading about this in the 90's in Discover magazine... stumbled upon this just a bit ago.

Tom N
March 3rd, 2008, 02:23 PM
Whoa dude! Anything that is 351 pages long and has sections with titles like: 5.1 Probability Elicitation, is way too deep for me. :shrug:

starbreaker666
March 3rd, 2008, 02:26 PM
No kidding. Look, if there isn't large pictures I'm not reading it. Can you condense it into like a 5 word explanation please?

theirishavenger
March 3rd, 2008, 02:29 PM
It's basically about how to warn people ten thousand years from now about our nuclear waste dumps.

Trango
March 3rd, 2008, 04:07 PM
If you don't get freaked out by the gestalt of the size, you can scroll to get into the warnings. It sort of reads like a sci fi novel.

ZappBranigan
March 3rd, 2008, 04:13 PM
It's basically about how to warn people ten thousand years from now about our nuclear waste dumps.

Wouldn't the radiation coming from them be warning enough? :confused:

I mean, really, this is ten thousand years in the future. Who cares?

I say we put up signs that point to our nuclear waste dumps that say "free ice cream, dig here." :D

Trango
March 3rd, 2008, 04:32 PM
Wouldn't the radiation coming from them be warning enough? :confused:

The warnings are mostly to not drill and what to do in case of unforeseen circumstance. And we do not know if there will be a loss or stratification of technology such that radiation sensing technology is not available to inhabitants

Also, tell me, do you often walk around with a geiger counter?

I mean, really, this is ten thousand years in the future. Who cares?

Sigh.

Leon Phelps
March 3rd, 2008, 04:47 PM
Damn, I really thought you traveled through time.

Seriously.

starbreaker666
March 3rd, 2008, 05:01 PM
Trango has the oddest surfing habits of anyone I have ever seen. Informative none-the-less.

IronMonkey
March 3rd, 2008, 05:06 PM
Also, tell me, do you often walk around with a geiger counter?

No, but did you know I own one? And a metal detector. Let me know if you ever need to borrow.

Steve
March 3rd, 2008, 05:24 PM
Cool stuff Bob, but I've read it. In fact, I helped with some of it. The biggest issue when you think about something like this (nuclear or not doesn't matter) is how you communicate with people that far into the future, when you have absolutely no idea what the technology will be, what language(s) will be used, or if there will even be people here for that matter. If, as is quite likely, we've figured out by then how to either prevent cancer and/or how to cure it, then the warnings don't really matter much any more because it's not dangerous.

:D

JR4X
March 3rd, 2008, 06:31 PM
Cool stuff Bob, but I've read it. In fact, I helped with some of it.

:D
Thats awsome Steve! :thumbsup:

Trango
March 3rd, 2008, 07:09 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_pillar_of_Delhi

more:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Out-of-place_artifact