PDA

View Full Version : Will 2 12v LED lights function on 24v, if wired in Series?

Trango
March 3rd, 2008, 11:20 AM
Quick question. Title says it all. Driving around on Saturday, I realized that the turn signals on my junk are broken, and anyway, the visibility on them plain sucks - time to go to LED's.

If the answer to my question is positive, I can (really easily) wire 2 lights in series (one fendermount, one sidemount on the bed) to enhance the overall visibility of the truck.

Thanks in advance - in theory it should work, but I'm looking for practical experience before I drop el coin.

Best,
Bob

Mcstiff
March 3rd, 2008, 12:33 PM
Never tried it but I want to say "yes".

Tom N
March 3rd, 2008, 02:15 PM
There are formulas for this, right? I haven't tried that but I have used ballast resistors to drop voltage to lights.
I run 3 12v batteries on my 6x with 2 series wired, and the 3rd one of them wired parallel to a series battery using an isolator to run 12v accessories.

Trango
March 3rd, 2008, 02:33 PM
Well, this works just dandy for incandescents, and for accessories with a relatively standard "load". Generally, that works for "resistor-added" LED's, but sometimes LED's are funny. Like Funny Hmmm, not Funny Haha.

Dagimp
March 3rd, 2008, 03:10 PM
All of my electronics training says yes.

Trango
March 3rd, 2008, 03:20 PM
So does mine! But I've had some weird examples in the past with finicky LED electronics.

What the hell, I'll do it, and if it doesn't work immediately I'll figure it out.

Thanks for the response. And you did this all without a gigantic picture of an outdated english roadster, pulled from a site with a slow connection. ;)

Dagimp
March 3rd, 2008, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the response. And you did this all without a gigantic picture of an outdated english roadster, pulled from a site with a slow connection. ;)

At least I got the name right! :P

Dagimp
March 3rd, 2008, 03:31 PM
So does mine! But I've had some weird examples in the past with finicky LED electronics.

Its been years since I took that training. But as far as I know LEDs haven't changed and there is no LED that forward biases at higher than 1.4v. In cases where they claim higher voltage its normally a combination of tiny LEDs making the light. And those are wired in series from what I understand.

So your 12v is probably a few LED's in series slightly over driven. Putting a few more in the series shouldn't hurt anything at all.

Mcstiff
March 3rd, 2008, 04:17 PM
Can you just hot wire the LED's w/o much time investment and see if they blink?

Trango
March 3rd, 2008, 04:32 PM
These are sealed production units. Not looking for an art project here.

Mcstiff
March 3rd, 2008, 04:34 PM
Boo, I was thinking you could make a quick 24v LED testlight.

ishmaelcallme
March 3rd, 2008, 07:54 PM
Since the LEDs draw much less current, your blinker relay might not work correctly. This is true of 12V or 24V.

Trango
March 3rd, 2008, 09:14 PM
I was thinking about that as well. :( It's a standalone big ass military flasher, which seems like it works with whatever you put in there.