PDA

View Full Version : Land Rover DII 2000, Got it!

architect1
February 27th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Land Rover DII 2000-03. What should look out for? I need the 7 seating option and they fall in my Budget.

School me on them?:beer: :beer:

Mobcore911
February 28th, 2008, 09:22 AM
if you need a bus, get a suburban. Far less issues, better resale, more availability of parts, and easier to fix.

Funrover
February 28th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Well in 03 there were a lot of changes to electronics and to overall look. The 1999 was the first year for the bosch management system and they still use bosch for the ingition system. to find out more in a hurry go to www.landroversonly.com or www.discoweb.org

If you can I would get an 04. they worked out a lot of the issues. Overall the Discovery II is a great ride. In 2003 they had air ride in the rear as an option (IMO one to stay away from)

Items to look for:
Head gasket leak
oil leaks
power steering leaks.

What kind of questions do you have?

architect1
February 28th, 2008, 09:59 AM
We ride the Short bus, LMAO. I did look at the Bus but that is just to big for the wife to drive. I talked her out of a Volvo Wagon.

So should I not even look at a 2000-03? or should I just skip to 04. The problem with that is I am only willing to pay 8K for any one I get. Most 04 are all in the mid teens.

This is going to be the wife's DD and I might take it camping. I have a few friends that have a DII and they have had no issues and love them except the Gas Mileage.. I will not have a payment on this rig and plan to pay cash so the gas is not that big of a deal.

The other deal is at some point down the road I plan to make this my new Wheeling rig for the Family. The YJ is just to small for 3 kids and 3 dogs. So I am hoping to only have this in DD for two years. Then the rebuild comes.

Gags
February 28th, 2008, 10:14 AM
We have an 03 which we really like. 03 had seen the effects of being owned by BMW for several years before they were bought by Ford.

Funrover
February 28th, 2008, 10:17 AM
The 2000 - 03 are great, and like your friends the MPG's are the only real killer. The 04 is just a better overall DD. But if you have plans for wheeling down I will find out what years the CDL t-case was instaled. Basically it just "LOCKS" your t-case. Is stock format (minus tires, you will want to get away from the factory tires) you can do a lot with a disco. The links I gave you are 2 of the better websites for this information. I know a lot of people with 2001 DII's that have no problems. With the years you are looking at the only real issues I see is the ACE system. That is a traction control system in a few of the DII's out there, but it's not a major problem nor has anyone I personally know ever had a problemwith it!

Pilot
February 28th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Are you really sold on a Land Rover? I'd go 4-Runner or something Japanese before a LR, but YMMV. If it were a D90, different story.

architect1
February 28th, 2008, 01:38 PM
I looked into the Toy Land Cruisers but GOD DAM people what 3x as much fro the same years. I know they are nice but for my price rang they just don?t fit bill and I do not want a 95-98 rig.

I like the Rovers and the few people I know that have them are happy with them. Gas & Service are the two main issues from what I have seen. I do have a friend of a friend that is a rover service tech so hopefully if something does go wrong I can fix it with his help.

Thank you for all the links and Info:beer: :beer: :beer:

Mcstiff
February 28th, 2008, 02:18 PM
LR's are attractive since the reliability issues kill resale. I'm shopping them too. Wish they offered a Diesel!

mrutledge
February 28th, 2008, 03:39 PM
We picked up a 2004 for the wife in 2005. Had 16K miles on it. This thing spends a lot of time in the shop. Once it went in on a tow truck. Another time it probably should have. So far at every oil change the shop has managed to find something wrong with it. Thankfully pretty much everything except the brakes have been covered by the factory warranty.

The biggest weakness on these things is the WIPERS! All the important pieces holding the wiper on the arm are plastic. If you have to thump the wipers to remove snow and ice the plastic will probably break rendering the vehicle useless. $8 part. Last I checked it was only available at dealers. We have two spares in the vehicle.

Other issues we've had: Bad plug wires causing check engine light, and a VERY rough running engine. Thing didn't want to go over 35 (Should have been towed). Transmission stuck in third gear (tow truck). Multiple wheel speed sensors for the ABS and traction control. Front and rear brakes. Something to do with the traction control shit itself. Not the wheel speed sensors. Center console fell apart. Part of the plastic on the steering column fell apart. A couple of leaks here and there. Nothing that I would have bothered fixing if it wasn't covered by warranty.

Mileage sucks. Usually get about 12 around town and *might* get 16 on the highway.

There are only two stock sized tires (255/55r18) for the 18" rim that have a treat pattern suitable for being on a 4x4. Both are much more expensive than they should be.

There are two reasons we still own this thing. First, and most important, the wife still likes it. Second, with the General Grabber AT2 tires this thing is nearly unstoppable in snow.

Just $0.02.

-Matt

Simon
February 28th, 2008, 04:23 PM
had a 2002. Holy expensive everything batman. Did brakes myself. all four wheels.... pads and rotors...$700. never again. And remember if a land rover ain't leaking oil it means you must be empty.

Funrover
February 28th, 2008, 07:44 PM
WOW, sorry you all had issues.. We have 2 range Rovers in my family that have served us very well. I have 200K on mine and she still goes just fine. NTM out of the box with no mods they really are an impressive machine.

Wipers - yes that is a weak link on the DII, but go to an independent rover shop (Like Pikes peak Rovers) and buy the DI set up, trust me, you wil be happy.

Leaks - yeah they have them, but not all do, has to do with the aluminum V8, just doesn't like to seal sometimes..lol..

Like mentioned before the 2003 has the BMW system, in 2004 they went to Jaguar. As far as price on parts goes it depends where you go. I have seen people pay an outragious amount for parts and never could figure out why. for me to do complete brakes (Rotors/pads) cost me around $500 for the drilled/slotted and upgrade set up. I could have done it less sticking to OEm type!

I hope you find what you are looking for, seems many folk don't like the Rovers, but it has never let me down!

Simon
February 28th, 2008, 07:51 PM
true, true. and I'm glad you have had better luck with yours.... Maybe the range rover gets a little inspection time before leaving the factory..... And then there was the time it wouldn't let me take the key OUT of the ignition... That was interesting.

Funrover
February 28th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Simon - sorry you had so many problems. But the YJ in your avatar looks nice!

FJBen
February 29th, 2008, 09:19 AM
93-97 Land Crusier, FZJ-80 series, seats 7/8 front/rear electric lockers, solid front high pinion axle, full floating rear, loaded, VERY safe and reliable, definitely overbuilt...., 93-97 are getting cheap, real cheap because of mileage. great off-road, CON: gas mileage 12-16mpg, not overpowered by anymeans

98-2007 Land Cruiser UZJ-100, bigger, more cush, V8, rear locker, traction control very nice ride, built tough, safe, reliable

THere is a reason they cost 3x more than the Rover's...:P

For a wife's Daily Driver and mild wheeler...Get the 98-2007 models.

If you want to build and wheel hard and still have a DD, 93-97...not that I"m biased, but I don't think there is a better all purpose wheeling rig than the 80 series when factoring Everything in.

architect1
February 29th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Very Few Land Cruisers on the market and that makes it more money + it's rep. Land Rover has a long history of Off-road and I like them. Once this becomes my wheeler it will not be a DD and I am sure I put D60's under it with a new driveline.:thumbsup:

The only thing I don't like about the LR is Yuppy link:shrug: , but I have a YJ so it will fit right in. LOL:flipoff2:

I have found about 4-5 LR SE7's that will meet my requirements and hope to have one by early next week.

architect1
March 6th, 2008, 09:14 PM
I found my Rover,Gold, DII 2000 SE7 97,000 on it and all for $6,500. It also has the coil springs in the rear and not that air bags.

I need to start adding some stuff like Rock rails and some skids, Bumpers, Lift kit, bigger tires, LOL oh ya that what the jeeps for.:beer:

Funrover
March 6th, 2008, 10:04 PM
I found my Rover,Gold, DII 2000 SE7 97,000 on it and all for $6,500. It also has the coil springs in the rear and not that air bags.

I need to start adding some stuff like Rock rails and some skids, Bumpers, Lift kit, bigger tires, LOL oh ya that what the jeeps for.:beer:

SWEET!! Now it's time for pics... Let me know if you want sliders or protection!

architect1
March 6th, 2008, 10:23 PM
http://images.autotrader.com/images/2008/2/16/239/261/4181864724.239261738.IM1.03.240x180_A.240x180.jpg

This is not it but they look the same.:thumbsup:

Yes I do, Do you make? Sliders for sure.

RJsfun
March 6th, 2008, 10:37 PM
I'm a closet Disco fan.
I personally love Rovers, and all the creature comforts that come with them. I love the styling, dual roofs, high seat position, cargo room, full length roof rack with ladder, pretty leather, sound system, headlight squirters, huge back door, 3rd row, hill decent, and status that comes with. It is also the perfect mall crawler/grocery getter beacuse the tail lights are mounted up above shopping cart level. You'll get looks from every milf around Cherry Creek and Highlands Ranch too.
I like the headlight change in 03, but still cannot understand the 80's looking digital clock?
I never knew brakes cost so much for them, and as far as a woman driver, better teach her what the "3", "2" and "1" mean under the "D" for drive.
I also did not know that the MPG's were so low. I understand they are AWD with a small V8, but the Grand Cherokee has the same combo with more power and better MPG's?
Either way, I'll be one of the jealous ones when I see a nice disco somewhere.
My buddy doesn't seem to like them too much and always says it looks like they are going to roll just driving a corner in a parking lot.

I've seen some nice ones (2001-2003) for under $10k on craigslist lately. All having less then 80,000 miles. Makes me wonder what happens with the higher miles?

architect1
March 6th, 2008, 11:07 PM
WoW you took some time to post that. No reason to be a hater. lol They have a long HISTORY of off-road as any rig out there (Jeep or Toy,). If you can do your own work, then it is same as any other rig out there.

I LMAO when people hate on a other make or model. I sure love those heated seats. You should get some. Haha

Big Kev
March 7th, 2008, 03:37 AM
Heated seats make me pee:shrug: . But I have always secretly wanted a Rover. Good luck with it.

architect1
March 7th, 2008, 09:00 AM
On cold day, hummmmmm nothing like a warm seat to sit in.

tysonxj
March 7th, 2008, 09:55 AM
For a daily driver I would go with the Volvo wagon. Choose AWD if you need it. Gas savings would probably pay half the payment.
YMMV, I have a thing for wagons.

Funrover
March 7th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Yes I do, Do you make? Sliders for sure.

Yup a friend and I make sliders!

Funrover
March 7th, 2008, 10:05 AM
I'm a closet Disco fan.
I personally love Rovers, and all the creature comforts that come with them. I love the styling, dual roofs, high seat position, cargo room, full length roof rack with ladder, pretty leather, sound system, headlight squirters, huge back door, 3rd row, hill decent, and status that comes with. It is also the perfect mall crawler/grocery getter beacuse the tail lights are mounted up above shopping cart level. You'll get looks from every milf around Cherry Creek and Highlands Ranch too.
I like the headlight change in 03, but still cannot understand the 80's looking digital clock?
I never knew brakes cost so much for them, and as far as a woman driver, better teach her what the "3", "2" and "1" mean under the "D" for drive.
I also did not know that the MPG's were so low. I understand they are AWD with a small V8, but the Grand Cherokee has the same combo with more power and better MPG's?
Either way, I'll be one of the jealous ones when I see a nice disco somewhere.
My buddy doesn't seem to like them too much and always says it looks like they are going to roll just driving a corner in a parking lot.

I've seen some nice ones (2001-2003) for under $10k on craigslist lately. All having less then 80,000 miles. Makes me wonder what happens with the higher miles?

Nice post!:thumbsup: It is amazing the hot milfs you see in them!! As far as rollover you would be amazed how far over the breakover in a disco is.. As fas as mileage goes my 92 Range Rover has 200,000 and still runs just fine!

architect1
March 7th, 2008, 11:45 AM
For a daily driver I would go with the Volvo wagon. Choose AWD if you need it. Gas savings would probably pay half the payment.
YMMV, I have a thing for wagons.

I paid cash for it. No payment so gas is not a big issue Payong $3+ in any SUCKS ASS but I hope in 10-12 months it will be taken care of and be back down to the low $2. It has WAY more room then any Wagon out there and you can take it wheeling/camping. I would love to see a Wagon on the trail.

I am not asking for opions on what I should have bought. That is a dead hourse and the deal is done. For the money I got the best dam Rig on the market for MY needs.:beer:

Fun Rover,
PM a price and any links of pic's of the sliders. I want them ASAP. I will not take this on harder trails but it will go camping and I don't want to mess up the doors or the rails on the trail. Mine does not have running boards so it is ready for soem rails.:thumbsup:

Funrover
March 7th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Fun Rover,
PM a price and any links of pic's of the sliders. I want them ASAP. I will not take this on harder trails but it will go camping and I don't want to mess up the doors or the rails on the trail. Mine does not have running boards so it is ready for soem rails.:thumbsup:

PM sent, We are building a set with rails/steps right now.. Will get those pics to you ASAP!!

not so Quikjeep
March 7th, 2008, 04:12 PM
What about a durango. Mine is 4.7 V8 seats 7 for 10k with low miles, by low I mean 60000 or so.

-Tom

mrutledge
March 7th, 2008, 11:02 PM
PM sent, We are building a set with rails/steps right now.. Will get those pics to you ASAP!!

Me too, please. Considering beefing up the plastic rockers on the wifes mall-mobile... (2004 if it matters)