PDA

View Full Version : When the price goes up, What would you do?

dhrm
February 24th, 2008, 09:55 AM
OK. So, I had some work done to my Jeep. Had to remove everything inside except driver seat and seat belt. Was told $550.00 for the work being done. I get there told price goes to $650.00. Guess he had never done this work to a JK and didn't realize there was more work to behad, Ends up the guys charges me 700.00. Now I could have drove away but my jeep is in peices at the time (soft top sitting on the couch/ passenger seat next to the couch, bolts, screws and plastic in the living room) and hard to tell if another shop could have had the job done within 2weeks. So, WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE DONE? Have the work completed or drive away and hope to get it done somewhere else???? Should a business stick to THEIR quoted price and then adjust on the next guy that wants the same thing done??

Mr. Mojo
February 24th, 2008, 10:05 AM
I had a very similar situation with Predator putting Tera Lows in for me. They quoted me a price and I asked them if they had ever done gear work on Isuzus. They were confident there would be no problems since they had worked on tons of Tera Low installs. When it was all said and done, almost a week, I was charged $250 more than their firm estimate. Needless to say I wasn't pleased especially since I asked them very pointedly about their experience with Isuzus. We finally decided to split the difference and both sides went away somewhat pleased.

Mark
February 24th, 2008, 10:07 AM
There's a difference between an price estimate, and a price quote. Which did you get?

LONEWOLF
February 24th, 2008, 10:13 AM
I am a business owner and IMHO I always stick to my price, if something unforseen (sp) happens its on me. I should know what to look for. I think personally it is bad business practice to raise prices that way. Unless something else is wrong that could have not been for seen by anyone. If I am not sure of something I always tell the client the price may change due to this or that depending, and if this happens it would cost this etc.. to cover my arse. I Always give worst case scenario and normally come in way under. Also he should of called you and told you it would cost more before work is done then let you make the decision. This is good business practice, what he is doing is bad business practice, he knows its in pieces and your hands may be tied. Not cool!

zillacon
February 24th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Did you get a reference from someone off this forum or did you see it here? If not you should have checked on them a tad! And dont necessarliy go by the Vendors that support this forum. Go by what people actually confirm is a reputable company and do quality work with great cuatomer service. JMHO. And yes I would have drove away!

dhrm
February 24th, 2008, 10:36 AM
There's a difference between an price estimate, and a price quote. Which did you get?

The words estimate / quote were never said. But when I called 2 different times and advised I had a 07 JK and wanted X X X done I would take out X X X the person I delt with never hesitated with the price of $550.00. Also, I have not seen the company on this website but I was refered but a third party so I had a good feeling going in. Funny thing is I have tried over and over to contact the owner and see if we could work out something and you guessed it. He is never avilable. Chulk it up to a live and learn situation and when people see the work I will tell them to go elsewhere to get it done.

Alpine Spirit
February 24th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Always get it in writing. Fax... Email... whatever.

LONEWOLF
February 24th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Always get it in writing. Fax... Email... whatever.

This is true. What ever happen to the good ole days when a man was as good as his word?

Alpine Spirit
February 24th, 2008, 11:08 AM
This is true. What ever happen to the good ole days when a man was as good as his word?

I agree I have lost some cash in some deals because I misquoted something or it came in higher, and I would pay the difference. So it has gotten to the point where I get everything in writing if I have never dealt with the person.

Colo.TJ
February 24th, 2008, 06:34 PM
If you payed w/ a CC you could dispute the charges explaining to the CC rep that you felt you HAD to pay to get your vehicle back or they might have kept it hostage until you payed.

shunt
February 24th, 2008, 07:27 PM

Those days sadly, have come and gone for the most part...:mad:

Leon Phelps
February 24th, 2008, 07:39 PM

Dead as the dodo. Get a quote in writing. We usually tell/document to a customer a open ended quote and before we reach the point where the quote has the potential to change, we notify the customer. Now if it's due to additional work that was not at our fault, were going to pass the cost. If it's our fawk up, we eat it.

Oscar
February 24th, 2008, 07:45 PM
I get a signed quote for anything I do and stuff I send out to other I always have the price in writing

77K5
February 24th, 2008, 10:55 PM
As was said before, get it in writing.

They should have to contact you for prior approval if they think the price will exceed what they quoted you.

BeastXJ
February 24th, 2008, 10:58 PM
As was said before, get it in writing.

They should have to contact you for prior approval if they think the price will exceed what they quoted you.
x2

mtntj
February 24th, 2008, 11:05 PM
:shrug: Go with your gut!! It's good or bad. It really sucks that you can't trust folks.