PDA

View Full Version : Wedding Help/Suggestions

jdbwrx
February 21st, 2008, 10:48 AM
So most of the planning for our wedding is done, but there are two issues we are hung up on that I was hoping we might get some suggestions for.

Officiant: Neither myself nor my fiancee are religious, so we want to keep that out of it. We have a friend who works at the courthouse downtown, and she said there is a judge who can do it. But we are just looking for other options.

Photographer: For the most part, I think wedding photography is waaay overpriced. Can anyone suggest someone they used with good results that was reasonably priced?

Thanks!

Big Dave
February 21st, 2008, 10:52 AM
Can't really help you with the photographer, our photographer was a midget with a glass eye who didn't speak english. As for the Officiant, send a PM to DaJudge.

Gags
February 21st, 2008, 11:26 AM
I can help with wine and champagne.

Sound_Man
February 21st, 2008, 11:28 AM
X2 on using DaJudge! He did mine last June.

Jake_Blues
February 21st, 2008, 11:31 AM
I can help with wine and champagne.

I can help with drinking the wine and champagne :D

-E

Gags
February 21st, 2008, 01:59 PM
I can help with drinking the wine and champagne :D

-E

:thumbsup:

scottycards
February 21st, 2008, 02:15 PM
My only tip is to make sure you OWN the photos. Not just a set of prints, or a disc, but you OWN the photos, and you can do whatever you like with them, like post them on the net, or whatever.

It can present a problem later if you do not completely own your photos.

jdbwrx
February 21st, 2008, 02:23 PM
My only tip is to make sure you OWN the photos. Not just a set of prints, or a disc, but you OWN the photos, and you can do whatever you like with them, like post them on the net, or whatever.

It can present a problem later if you do not completely own your photos.

That is the route I want to go. The one place we looked at won't turn over the "negatives" until a year later.

scottycards
February 21st, 2008, 02:25 PM
Then bag them and go somewhere else. Tiffany here on the board does photos, maybe you could PM her?

OFRD_GRL
February 21st, 2008, 02:26 PM
I do photography..... If you are interested...
www.flashforwardphotography.com

As far as an officiant, you can find the guys online to come do it for ya.... Or go to vegas like me and my husband did :D LOL

xjmatt
February 21st, 2008, 02:46 PM
Then bag them and go somewhere else. Tiffany here on the board does photos, maybe you could PM her?

X2. Our photographer tried to pull some garbage later on down the line but thankfully I keep EVERYTHING when money gets involved and had an e-mail she sent where I directly asked that question and she said back 'Yes you own the full resolution photos' and not just the reduced resolution photos. She was also a bit of a hair brain so wouldn't surprise me if she really did forget.

Now if you still need someone to do your invitations I have the local person who did ours and while I didn't think invitations were such a big deal we got a LOT of compliments on them.

scottycards
February 21st, 2008, 02:49 PM
You never know what the future holds. In 3 years, when your wife starts a wedding planning business, and she wants to use a photo of your wedding in her advertising, this could become an issue...........an expensive issue.

Jake_Blues
February 21st, 2008, 02:52 PM
You never know what the future holds. In 3 years, when your wife starts a wedding planning business, and she wants to use a photo of your wedding in her advertising, this could become an issue...........an expensive issue.

Don't give the wimmens ideas!

-E

jdbwrx
February 21st, 2008, 03:03 PM
Now if you still need someone to do your invitations I have the local person who did ours and while I didn't think invitations were such a big deal we got a LOT of compliments on them.

I am not worried about invitations. My mom is an artist/graphic artist so we have that covered, but thank you though.

We have a friend of the family who has offered to do the photography essentially for free (cover plane tickets), but the mrs. is somewhat resistant to it. To her credit, she is concerend about getting a friend involved in a business type of transaction. That is why I am looking for other options.

xjmatt
February 21st, 2008, 03:17 PM
We have a friend of the family who has offered to do the photography essentially for free (cover plane tickets), but the mrs. is somewhat resistant to it. To her credit, she is concerend about getting a friend involved in a business type of transaction. That is why I am looking for other options.

I know all to well how this is. My wife's family owns most of the town where we got married so we ran into this constantly. Maybe we got a slightly higher level of attention or a slightly discounted rate but I made sure if they were family they got paid and that services were in writing. I know it seems a little cold and it felt weird dealing with people who are now my extended family in that way but looking back everything went off flawless.

Colo.TJ
February 22nd, 2008, 06:57 AM
From my understanding, in the state of Colorado any person may perform the marraige. It's the license that creates the legal bond.

DaJudge is this true or not?

cheftyler
February 22nd, 2008, 07:15 AM
In Colorado you don't need an officiant...

schebs05tj
February 22nd, 2008, 07:58 AM
Me and My wife had a really good friend officiat our wedding. he got ordained online plus he added a personal touch that only someone that knows us could add.

Dave McDonald
February 22nd, 2008, 08:12 AM
I'm ordained through the Universal Life Church of Modesto, CA. Google it, and have the best man get ya hitched :)

But, you don't need anyone to officiate - apparently you can do it yourself.

http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?p=1009492#post1009492

Friscokidd
February 22nd, 2008, 08:33 AM
wait, so suki and i could go out to Moab, say some words and poof be married?? No judge/officient, and then get a marriage license later?

please explain, i is confused.

Gotlift91
February 22nd, 2008, 08:47 AM
Yep you can marry yourselves, or have your best friend do it! Just as long as you get the marriage license, sign it and turn it in, you can get married however you please.

I'm not religious at ALL, so me and my wife were thinking about doing the same thing about a year ago, just getting the license and having a small little ceremony up in the mountains and having my 5 year old son marry us!!!!:D We eventually just ended up signing the papers at the Weld County building and we're going to do a ceremony this summer. But it's nice to have the option to do whatever you want.

Dave McDonald
February 22nd, 2008, 09:09 AM
wait, so suki and i could go out to Moab, say some words and poof be married?? No judge/officient, and then get a marriage license later?

The marriage license is what makes it official. According to the govt, that would be your official anniversary. The ceremony is just a religious/family/friends/chance to party kinda thing.

If there is an officiate on the license, I believe they have to be either a judge or ordained (there are others, but I don't know who they are). Basically, just have a friend stand up and ask you to recite your vows, and then you and your lovely bride be your own officiates.

jdbwrx
February 22nd, 2008, 10:02 AM
We actually knew about the idea that anyone could do it. Our wedding is definitely going to be a mix of traditional and non-traditional, so I am not afraid to break from the norm. However, we want someone to preside over things, especially to help make it feel more official.

So anyone else have photographer recomendations? Just rounding up ideas.

DaJudge
February 22nd, 2008, 10:59 AM
From my understanding, in the state of Colorado any person may perform the marraige. It's the license that creates the legal bond.

DaJudge is this true or not?
NOT anyone--the couple themselves or those 'authorized' to perform marriages:

From the Douglas County Clerk's website but accurate state-wide:

Couples themselves may solemnize their own marriage (Colorado Revised Statute 14-2-109). A marriage can also be solemnized by a judge, a retired judge, a magistrate, a public official authorized to perform marriages, or in accordance with any mode of solemnization recognized by any religious denomination or Indian nation or tribe. Not anyone can solemnize a marriage. Although the couple may solemnize their own marriage, that does not mean a friend or relative can also solemnize their marriage. Clergy from out-of-state need not be registered in Colorado.

http://www.douglas.co.us/clerk/recor...formation.html (http://www.douglas.co.us/clerk/recording/Marriage_License_Information.html)

I don't know about Moab--governed by Utah law. COLORADO though is a common-law marriage state. You don't need a license, an officiant, a ceremony or 'nuthin. Just live together and publicly declare that you are married...and you are. If you want an official record of that status then get a license ($10), have the clerk record it (free), and order certified copies ($1.25 each.)

I did a wedding at Gould's Lodge, Monument Valley, UT once. The actual wedding was an exchange of 'I do's' in the van as we approached the 4 corners. The ceremony at the Lodge the next day was not official, just a show for the family. On the Colorado certificate I wrote in the location as, "Somewhere on US 160 near Four Corners, CO." The Clerk accepted it and recorded it just like that.

DADA_JEEP
February 22nd, 2008, 11:09 AM
i have a guy i work with that is a really good photog, don't know if he does weddings or not, can shoot him an e-mail and find out. i have seen someo fo hs work, really creative nature stuff. will check for you.

DaJudge
February 22nd, 2008, 11:14 AM
We actually knew about the idea that anyone could do it. Our wedding is definitely going to be a mix of traditional and non-traditional, so I am not afraid to break from the norm. However, we want someone to preside over things, especially to help make it feel more official.

So anyone else have photographer recomendations? Just rounding up ideas.
Suggestion: Post up on the board's Shutterbug (http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=68) sub-forum. See what they say.