PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the new forums!!

Eric
July 11th, 2004, 08:29 PM
The following info is copied from this post: News post (http://www.colorado4x4.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000051)

The new forum is finally online! There are a few things you need to know before proceeding to the new forums:

Your current Displayed Name is your new login name on the new forums. Your password should be the same one you used on these forums.
The new forums are currently a carbon-copy of the current forums. It is NOT in its final state. First step is to get it working, then I'll add all of the other forums, options, etc.
The transition was not perfect. Old polls may show incorrect results, some images may not display correctly, the entire Chit Chat forum didn't make it http://colorado4x4.org/vbb/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif , etc. etc. etc. This transition has been a royal pain in my ass and I'm just thankful we were able to transfer anything at all.
The import was performed on a "snapshot" of the current forums as of mid last week. In other words, posts from the last few days will not appear on the new forums. Likewise if you registered here in the past few days (since July 7th) you will need to register again on the new forums. If you registered on or before July 7th then your profile should already exist on the new forums and you do NOT need to reregister.
EDIT YOUR OPTIONS! Click the User CP link at the top of the forums and then review / edit ALL of your settings. It is extremely important that you review ALL settings and adjust them as needed to suit your needs.
Avatars were not transferred. If you were using a custom avatar you will need to reset it. Remember, 5k limit on avatars and the new software will check that automatically. If you were using one of the "standard" avatars just hang tight, I'll set those up again when I have a chance.
Likewise profile images were not transferred. If you had an image in your profile you'll need to reload it.
The front page is going to undergo a MAJOR rework since many features of that page are linked to the old forums. Just a heads up that the front page will likely be a mess for a few weeks. Hang in there, a better version is coming.
The vendors forum is disabled in the new forums (and new registrations are disabled in the old forums). This is going to be completely reworked, again probably in a few weeks.
Again, this is NOT the final version. I will be making significant changes in the weeks to come. This is just the first step, then we start running http://colorado4x4.org/vbb/images/smilies/wink.gif
That's all I can think of at the moment. The two forums will run in parallel for about a week, only because I will be unavailable for the next week. Then the old forums will likely be removed, so the sooner you get comfortable with the new software (and update your links) the better. For the most part you probably won't notice much difference between the two software versions and will be wondering what all the fuss was about. On one hand that's the intent, a nearly transparent transition. Look around a bit though and you'll find some cool new features.

If anyone has trouble logging in on the new forums let me know. Do NOT reregister, your profile already exists! Instead, reply to the news post in the old forum and I'll try to help you.

Eric
July 19th, 2004, 01:56 AM
A few more issues to be aware about: When you first log in your "last visited" time/date will be incorrect (December of 1969 or something similar). This is an artifact of the import and it will correct itself upon your next visit. Your Private Messages were probably not imported!. If you want to save old messages then use this link to log into the old board and access your messages:
Old Private Message Inbox (http://www.colorado4x4.org/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=my_profile) The login for this board is CASE SENSITIVE. If you are having trouble logging in, be sure you are typing your Displayed Name and old password EXACTLY as it was on the old board. The old board was not case sensitive. If you can log in, but have trouble staying logged in, try clicking the "remember me" option at the login screen. The old board is now in "archive" mode, meaning you cannot create new posts in the old forums EXCEPT for the News and Suggestion Box forums. If you are having trouble logging in here then you can post in those forums to request help. The old board will be deleted in two weeks! If you want to save something from that board then do it now (Private Messages for example). I will be unavailable for the next two weeks, so if you are having problems then please be patient and I will help you as soon as I can.

That is all, see ya in August :flipoff2: