PDA

View Full Version : Critique This!

Pages : [1] 2

Tiffany
November 10th, 2007, 08:43 AM
Figured I would start a thread for photo critiques. You can post a single pic or a gallery of photos...what ever you like.

But please remember, this is the spot to leave the emotions at the door. If you ask for a critque, expect to get the good with the bad. I do expect folks to remain civil...we are all friends here. Constructive criticism is welcome.

thenimirra
November 12th, 2007, 08:14 PM
OK, I'll be first up for the chopping block. I used some fill flash and some reflectors on my second model shoot as some shutterbugs suggested earlier. This technique was very affective, and I was able to convince the modeling agency director to allow me to choose some spots for posing the subject. I got a few even lighting shots in some shady areas, but she kept putting the guy in the direct sunlight until his eyes started to water. (I also worked out a payment deal on top of the 10 percent I get from her model's contracts.)

Please let me know what you think of the light quality, as well as background distractions that might detract from the main subject. I tried to do some metering for the first time as well. Besides, I think if I would have screwed this guy's pics up, he probably would have kicked my asshat down the side of a few Red Rocks!

Have at it!

http://www.picture-yourworld.com/gallery/3812696#220173334

Rhino95
November 12th, 2007, 11:58 PM
My fav is photo 8. Really cool/intimidating shot.

One thing that I learned at Lifetouch is NEVER have them looking into the sun. I'm sure that she had something to do with putting him facing the sun, but the squinting is never good. Even if you have to get a big ole lens hood avoid them looking into the sun.

Cool shots none the less!

thenimirra
November 13th, 2007, 12:50 AM
Thanks Rhino! I love phot 8 too, plus it was my idea. All the places where Allan is in the shade and not squinting was me desperately suggesting to the agency director to move him the FRACK OUTTA THE SUN! I tried to have him be placed under the shadow of a rock or in a rock crevace, under a tree....anywhere besides in the direct sunlight. It was easier on him and frankly, easier on me too. You can tell he's much more at ease in the shots where he's not looking directly into the sunlight.

She kept trying to tell me, "I'm satisfied with the pictures," and I kept telling her "I need to take a few more shots."

Backwoods Rambler
November 13th, 2007, 01:24 PM
#7 & #4 are my favorites. This guy looks so intimidating he doesn't need to be surrounded by rocks. In shot 7 it looks casual, like a candid shot in which he just happens to be upon the rocks, vs. the other shots, where it appears as though the rocks are just a prop for the photo.

I don't know much yet, but these definitely look better than the shots dance group you linked to. I see much less shadowing and better focus on the subject with less background distraction.

Hope this spewing of little knowledge helps... :confused:

SIDE NOTE: Not photograpy related, but shot #'s 2 and 9 make me question weather or not he's gay. Seriously, no problem with gay men and women (especially not women :D ), but it might be of concern to him or the agency?

thenimirra
November 14th, 2007, 10:04 AM
well...it is a Male Revue.....so it's possible he could be...

but back to the critique.... ;)

Someone else has said to be careful of backgrounds in your images. I didn't realize it while I was shooting, but he seems to have some plants growing out of his body in some areas....such as out of his head, etc. etc.

It's just another lesson to be aware of EVERYTHING you see in your viewfinder. Yes, I could clone it out in PS...but it would be better if I had recompositioned the photo to begin with as I was taking it. It's hard to keep all this stuff straight because I was so caught up with lighting that I forgot about composition!

mrutledge
November 25th, 2007, 11:29 PM
Here's a set that might tell a story about my Friday morning. I'm very interested in hearing thoughts of others. I'm very interested in hearing thoughts of how to improve some of them for future events similar in nature.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mlrutledge/sets/72157603299255501/

Thanks all.

-Matt

Jeffro600
November 25th, 2007, 11:43 PM
Here's a set that might tell a story about my Friday morning. I'm very interested in hearing thoughts of others. I'm very interested in hearing thoughts of how to improve some of them for future events similar in nature.

Thanks all.

-Matt

A few good bird shots in there. Overall, id say, more zoom, less background(sky)...and get closer to the ground.

These two being my favorite of the bunch...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2049/2064368223_fc0fb8166b_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2306/2064366333_cf7ccc7090_o.jpg

mrutledge
November 26th, 2007, 12:17 AM
More zoom is going to cost me more money. ;) Not saying it isn't going to happen, but it's not going to happen this winter. I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to need to drop about $10k on a zoom lens to take the pictures I really want to capture. I can't believe how quickly I've managed to max out the $90 200mm I picked up.

Closer to the ground is an interesting suggestion. Most of the pictures were taken while I was on my back in my layout blind. We had considered breaking out the shovel to sink me down a bit more.

I can't believe how hard it is to get a good picture of tens of thousands of geese.

The two pictures you pulled out are two of my favorites as well.

Thanks for the pointers!
-Matt

A few good bird shots in there. Overall, id say, more zoom, less background(sky)...and get closer to the ground.

These two being my favorite of the bunch...

Jeffro600
November 26th, 2007, 12:21 AM
Thats one of the things about photography...you can take a thousand pictures and get maybe a small handfull of usable ones.

If you look on my page, most of those are the results of taking THOUSANDS of pictures. A slight change in angle, position, lighting, time of day, subject matter, zoom, and about a million other factors can make or break a shot.

This is the exact reason why i usually carry at least 10GB worth of memory if im planning on shooting...especially for action intensive subjects. I can get about 350 shots on a 4GB SD card when shooting in RAW.

Carry lots of memory and stay heavy on the shutter!

RebelRescuer
November 26th, 2007, 07:19 AM
I'm such a novice so I shouldn't be saying anything but.....

I can't seem to post it, but one of my favs is 5852. It looks SO cold, and the angle is just such that I felt like I was there. It almost had a very bleak and lonely feel to it (I hope you don't mind me saying that). It's like the horizon could go on for miles, or maybe not at all. I hope I don't sound corny, but I actually feel bad for that guy out there by himself in the cold with his decoys. I dunno, just a very cold, lonely pic.

If you were wanting someone to feel that cold and the snow, and the quiet...you've acheived it. :thumbsup:

(Though I'm not sure this is a critique, fwiw, it's the impression I get!)

thenimirra
November 26th, 2007, 02:43 PM
More zoom is going to cost me more money. ;) Not saying it isn't going to happen, but it's not going to happen this winter. I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to need to drop about $10k on a zoom lens to take the pictures I really want to capture. I can't believe how quickly I've managed to max out the $90 200mm I picked up.

Closer to the ground is an interesting suggestion. Most of the pictures were taken while I was on my back in my layout blind. We had considered breaking out the shovel to sink me down a bit more.

I can't believe how hard it is to get a good picture of tens of thousands of geese.

The two pictures you pulled out are two of my favorites as well.

Thanks for the pointers!
-Matt

did I read that right....10 k for a lens? What lense is that....:eek:

mrutledge
November 26th, 2007, 02:55 PM
did I read that right....10 k for a lens? What lense is that....:eek:

I present you with the Sigma Monster:
https://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?id=3308&navigator=3

Throw in the required bits to make it work on a pentax, and some sales tax, and the rounding works out close enough to $10k.

-Matt

ColoradoSkier
November 26th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Add another $15k for a flatbed to haul that thing on... :D

Jeffro600
November 26th, 2007, 03:27 PM

Throw in the required bits to make it work on a pentax, and some sales tax, and the rounding works out close enough to $10k.

-Matt

That lens is TOTALLY rediculous!!

Sigma also makes a good 50-500 F4.5-6.3 thats under a grand and takes great pictures!

thenimirra
November 26th, 2007, 03:32 PM

-Matt

Good Lord! I'm with Chester...how the heck do you haul that thing around? I could do a lot of damage with an extra $10K to spend on camera equipment...we are talking another body at least...

dayum!

rockkrusher
November 26th, 2007, 08:59 PM
Heres on for you all.Took it tonight let me know what you think
http://s71.photobucket.com/albums/i128/rockkrusher79/?action=view&current=CO4x4.jpg

Jeffro600
November 26th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Heres on for you all.Took it tonight let me know what you think
http://s71.photobucket.com/albums/i128/rockkrusher79/?action=view&current=CO4x4.jpg

Not a bad shot...could use a little sharpening and a tighter crop(or more zoom) though.

ColoradoSkier
November 27th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Matt - what were you using to take those again?

The 70-300 Zuiko looks like it does a pretty good job...

http://funkyfreshfotos.com/70-300/

mrutledge
November 27th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Matt - what were you using to take those again?

The 70-300 Zuiko looks like it does a pretty good job...

http://funkyfreshfotos.com/70-300/

Most of the shots were taken with a "cheap" Pentax 80-200. It treats me well until I need to get a wide frame close shot or a shot of something a ways out. I think I'll start looking around and seeing if I can find something used in the 300mm range to see if that will do the trick, but I have a feeling I just won't be happy with anything smaller than 500mm for the reach out and touch someone shots.

-Matt

Backwoods Rambler
November 27th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Not a bad shot...could use a little sharpening and a tighter crop(or more zoom) though.

Agreed. :D

snicho
November 27th, 2007, 04:41 PM
OK - I'm up. Here's one of the Alamo taken the other night. Thoughts? Suggestions? Planning to take some pics of the old missions around town, get large prints and use them to decorate some of the public space in our new (small) office suite. . . so help me with what might be appealing for those type of prints.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa30/snicho_2007/DSCN2024.jpg

File Name: DSCN2024.jpg (rename)

.jpg cancel Taken With: NIKON COOLPI...
File Size: 269 kb - 768x1024 Taken On: 2007:11:25 20:56:48
Image Description: unknown Make: NIKON
Model: COOLPIX P5000 Orientation: 1
X Resolution: 300/1 Y Resolution: 300/1
Resolution Unit: 2 Software: PictureProject 1.7.5 W
Date Time: 2007:11:25 20:56:48 Y Cb Cr Positioning: 1
Exif IFD Pointer: 276 Exposure Time: 12345679/100000000
F Number: 27/10 Exposure Program: 2
ISO Speed Ratings: 400 Exif Version: 0220
Date Time Original: 2007:02:17 00:34:30 Date Time Digitized: 2007:02:17 00:34:30
Components Configuration:  Exposure Bias Value: 0/10
Max Aperture Value: 29/10 Metering Mode: 5
Light Source: unknown Flash: 16
Focal Length: 75/10 Maker Note: NikonII*"02...
User Comment: unknown Flash Pix Version: 0100
Color Space: 1 Exif Image Width: 2736
Exif Image Length: 3648 File Source: 

thenimirra
November 27th, 2007, 04:51 PM
ohh...I really like it. I am gaining more love of black and white images. I like the use of angle.

Tiffany
November 27th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Like the pic! What is the top light source from? Moon or lightpole something or other?

I think its pretty cool :)

snicho
November 27th, 2007, 05:16 PM
ohh...I really like it. I am gaining more love of black and white images. I like the use of angle.

Like the pic! What is the top light source from? Moon or lightpole something or other?

I think its pretty cool :)

Thanks! I'm a big fan of black and white for some reason. And I find myself taking pictures at an angle fairly often. Honestly, I think both of those things sometimes help make up for other composition/lighting issues. . . or keep me from having to think about it!

If you've never been to San Antonio and the Alamo, it sits right in the middle of downtown. There's lots of ambient lighting so it's probably a combination of the lights from surrounding buildings, the big Christmas tree in front, streetlights and the moon.

Thanks for the feedback. I actually had a 20 X 30 print done and it looks pretty good.

thenimirra
November 27th, 2007, 06:05 PM
I'd say to sell it as a stock photo, but I have since learned that stock photography is the anti-christ.

But I'm not bitter. ;)

snicho
November 27th, 2007, 06:20 PM
I'd say to sell it as a stock photo, but I have since learned that stock photography is the anti-christ.

But I'm not bitter. ;)

Enlighten me :D

Rhino95
November 27th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Love the pic...absolutely love it. Nice Job.

rockkrusher
November 27th, 2007, 10:30 PM
opposite of telephoto
http://s71.photobucket.com/albums/i128/rockkrusher79/?action=view&current=neew_MG_6481MS.jpg
and breaking the rule of thirds
http://s71.photobucket.com/albums/i128/rockkrusher79/?action=view&current=_MG_1452pswscopy.jpg

Jeffro600
November 27th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Snicho, excellent photo!! Excellent lighting, great angle and perfect composition! Magazine worthy to say the least!! :thumbsup:

rockkrusher
November 27th, 2007, 10:32 PM

Thanks.Using mirror lock up would have been a benifit too.Didnt use my tripod either.Broke all the rules

rockkrusher
November 27th, 2007, 10:34 PM
Very cool shot snicho

Jeffro600
November 27th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Thanks.Using mirror lock up would have been a benifit too.Didnt use my tripod either.Broke all the rules

Mirror lock up?? Why? Unless your thinking a remote shutter realease?? Most shots of the moon that i take are WAY faster than a second when properly metered unless you were shooting a super tiny aperture. But thats not bad for handheld. I tried shooting some handheld at 500mm a few nights ago and every single one was unusable due to motion blur.

snicho
November 28th, 2007, 07:33 AM
Love the pic...absolutely love it. Nice Job.

Snicho, excellent photo!! Excellent lighting, great angle and perfect composition! Magazine worthy to say the least!! :thumbsup:

Very cool shot snicho

Thanks!

Brett N Colorado
November 28th, 2007, 11:25 AM
I tried this earlier but the thread had died,, now that is it back,, just curious about your thoughts on this one. It was a spur of the moment, no setup. Did have to blur out a branch.
http://BNC04.zenfolio.com/img/v2/p208147775-4.jpg

thanks
Brett

mrutledge
November 28th, 2007, 11:45 AM
You know Brett, it's just not a bad shot. At the posted size I can't tell where the branch had to be removed, but I'd like to see the untouched picture to compare.

The subject is framed well in the trees. The lighting is probably as good as you are going to get it in those conditions without spooking animals. I even like the perspective.

-Matt

I tried this earlier but the thread had died,, now that is it back,, just curious about your thoughts on this one. It was a spur of the moment, no setup. Did have to blur out a branch.
http://BNC04.zenfolio.com/img/v2/p208147775-4.jpg

thanks
Brett

Tiffany
November 28th, 2007, 12:43 PM
You know Brett, it's just not a bad shot. At the posted size I can't tell where the branch had to be removed, but I'd like to see the untouched picture to compare.

The subject is framed well in the trees. The lighting is probably as good as you are going to get it in those conditions without spooking animals. I even like the perspective.

-Matt
x2

I like it as is...interesting photo

Brett N Colorado
November 28th, 2007, 01:14 PM
I can't upload another pic from here but the branch I colored out runs across the brim of his hat. You can see the slight discoloration. I don't have P Chop and use photo explosion. Thanks for the comments, I thought it was kind of a cool shot.
Brett

mrutledge
November 28th, 2007, 01:51 PM
I can't upload another pic from here but the branch I colored out runs across the brim of his hat. You can see the slight discoloration. I don't have P Chop and use photo explosion. Thanks for the comments, I thought it was kind of a cool shot.
Brett

If I was going to speculate, that's where I thought it might have been. Not that I can see it, it's just that is about the only spot where you'd want to edit something out. As the picture sits, the color on the hat just looks like one of those smudges you get when you're in the woods.

You're right. It is a cool shot.

-Matt

ColoradoSkier
November 28th, 2007, 03:59 PM
Snicho - I said "oooh". You should enter that in the POTW...

thenimirra
November 28th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Snicho - I said "oooh". You should enter that in the POTW...

x2 I was thinking the same thing.

snicho
November 28th, 2007, 06:55 PM
x2 I was thinking the same thing.

It is a much better photo than the one I entered. . . will I be chastized for a late-evening swap :) ?

Oh, and thanks to you both!

Jeffro600
November 28th, 2007, 07:04 PM
It is a much better photo than the one I entered. . . will I be chastized for a late-evening swap :) ?

Oh, and thanks to you both!

Dont see why not...entries arent final till Tiffany posts them in the voting thread!

snicho
November 28th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Dont see why not...entries arent final till Tiffany posts them in the voting thread!

OK - y'all talked me into it. There are some great photos in this week's, too.

rockkrusher
November 28th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Mirror lock up?? Why? Unless your thinking a remote shutter realease?? Most shots of the moon that i take are WAY faster than a second when properly metered unless you were shooting a super tiny aperture. But thats not bad for handheld. I tried shooting some handheld at 500mm a few nights ago and every single one was unusable due to motion blur.

Sorry confused that shot with another from the same night.That one was shot at ISO 100 1/25 sec f9 and hand held also.70-300mm zoom lense

Backwoods Rambler
November 29th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Snicho - Fantastic!!!

That is all :thumbsup:

snicho
November 29th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Snicho - Fantastic!!!

That is all :thumbsup:

Thanks much!

Tiffany
November 30th, 2007, 10:26 AM
My turn:

http://www.tiffanynicolephotography.com/photos/226037583-L-2.jpg

mrutledge
November 30th, 2007, 10:32 AM
I don't know squat about portraits, but...

It's a nice picture and it works well for her. The lighting, background, and clothing choice really makes her face pop. (In a good way.)

Keep in mind not everyone can pull off that pose. Many people will wind up with weird stomach rolls and seeing that will ruin the picture for them.

$0.02.

RebelRescuer
November 30th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Really a nice picture! The color of her clothes with the background is perfect! And the "shine" in her hair is in just the right place. Good job! The only thing I would do is edit out the maker's name on her coat, but otherwise, its perfect!

thenimirra
November 30th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Nice shot Tiffany. I like the fact that it looks like you got down on the ground with the model. It's always more affective when you can get down to your subjects level and take advantage of shooting shots from different angles (you will need that skill when you shoot the little ones for your child portraiture). Did you take this at the Darkroom with other students? That first time shooting models can be a little intimidating with so many other students shooting and vying for the model's attention. I like that you were willing to get closer. I would suggest trying to fill your frame more. One of the things I've learned from shooting models is to not be afraid to get in closer and fill your frame. Just yell out to everyone "I'm going in!" to let them know you want full access to her and to get her attention on only you, and shoot away as close as you can get.

I personally don't like the hair hiding her face...I would have moved that strand out of the way. Also, are there shoe prints where she is sitting? Clone those out. I agree that the background with her clothing is perfect...just clean out the gear face as Melissa has suggested.

Tiffany
November 30th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Yeah that shot is unedited straight from the camera...Photoshop work to come...just too busy with real work right now to play with it.

I was sitting at the edge of the paper backdrop so I could be in front of others...

Rhino95
November 30th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Hehe, it does look like there are footprints...its the little things I tell ya. One thing that I've learned at Lifetouch is the hands...her hands look kinda funny to me.

But she's cute...can I get her number ;)

RebelRescuer
December 1st, 2007, 12:54 AM
Took this tonight at the Golden Christmas wingding. I actually took TONS of pics, but being tripod-less not many came out without serious shakes. It was wicked dark so the shutter took forever to do its thing. This was taken on a bridge with the camera resting on the rail, yet its still shaky. Anyway, tell me the good, the bad, and the ugly on this one. I'm here to learn....

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b236/SweetGeorge/CCxmaslights0001.jpg

Rhino95
December 1st, 2007, 01:58 AM
I like it as is...but see what happens if you mess with the temperature a bit...I dunno I'm just thinking out loud here.

ColoradoSkier
December 3rd, 2007, 10:15 AM
I like it, especially for it being handheld. Looks warm and cold at the same time.

thenimirra
December 4th, 2007, 01:02 PM
I agree with Chester. It does have a very interesting quality of making the viewer feel warm and cold at the same time.

Tiffany
December 4th, 2007, 05:40 PM
As I was getting out the car this afternoon...saw this in my mirror:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2057/2087951658_21ff8e57a5_o.jpg

thenimirra
December 4th, 2007, 05:44 PM
ohhh. nice one!

Tiffany
December 4th, 2007, 06:21 PM
My bad, I meant to post that in random cool shots...this one for critique...was bored and had time to kill so went over to the Denver Skatepark for about 15 minutes:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2242/2087212209_c8b1c30c22_o.jpg

Jeffro600
December 4th, 2007, 06:23 PM
Nice shot...but kinda seems like the wrong time of day or like it was really overcast....kinda makes the colors a little bland. But the composition is good!

Tiffany
December 4th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Yeah, it was rather overcast right then...funny, about 15 minutes after I left the sun came out...go figure.

First time shooting skaters...was kind of a trial for me cause I have a group who wants to do a photo shoot and I have been away from a skatepark for a loooong time. Was good to get out there and work on timing. Next time will take the 50 and get in closer (danger Will Robinson danger!).

I found that knowing how to do the tricks makes it a bit easier for me to time things...so was a lot easier than I thought.

mrutledge
December 4th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Yeah, it was rather overcast right then...funny, about 15 minutes after I left the sun came out...go figure.

I found that knowing how to do the tricks makes it a bit easier for me to time things...so was a lot easier than I thought.

The bright yellow shirt saves the drabness of the sky and general lack of light and mess of concrete. Climbing magazine had some tips for pictures of climbers that I think will apply to skate parks. If you're there to shoot, carry spare clothes in bright colors that contrast with the rock (concrete) but don't wash out the face of the person you're shooting.

If I were shooting in a skate park, I would bring my own pads and helmet and get as close to the action (under, over, next to) as the terrain allowed. And you're right, knowing the tricks makes it all easier. That applies to any sport you're shooting. Especially anything that could be considered extreme.

About the only thing I'd change about the picture is the side you're shooting from. Faces rule.

Great shot though. He's not blurred or anything. You did a great job of capturing the moment.

-Matt

Rhino95
December 4th, 2007, 09:15 PM
First thing I noticed was you cut off the tips of his fingers.

Rhino95
December 4th, 2007, 09:16 PM
About the only thing I'd change about the picture is the side you're shooting from. Faces rule.

-Matt

Yes, but we're not sure what the background would have looked like facing the other way...could have been cars and other people in the background.

Tiffany
December 4th, 2007, 09:47 PM
Yes, but we're not sure what the background would have looked like facing the other way...could have been cars and other people in the background.
Yup. When I take the group out I can easily have them do their tricks coming at me in that same spot. In 15 minutes I wasn't gonna make a ton of friends outta kids who probably should have been in school ;)

Depending on weather and what not I may try to get back over there this weekend and will take my board to try to ease the tension and get some better shots. The skatepark down the street from my house is rather lame in comparison to DSP.

RebelRescuer
December 5th, 2007, 07:37 AM
Great pic! I'm so glad there weren't any cars driving by in the background! I think the grayness is cool, especially with the yellow tshirt.

Good job! :thumbsup:

team D.A.T.A.
December 8th, 2007, 07:24 PM
OK, my turn. I absolutely suck at taking shots in the dark. This is the best I came up with after about thirty attempts using different settings. What can I do to improve this photo, and taking them at night? It is a photo of our backyard pond.

http://www.colorado4x4.org/gallery/files/9/4/5/4/Pond.jpg

Notice the shadow of the water lillies through the ice.

Tiffany
December 8th, 2007, 08:03 PM
In the dark, with snow...difficult to say the least.

I like the composition...looks like the shutter speed was decently long as the lights under the falls are getting blown out.

Maybe wider aperture and a tad shorter shutter speed to help with that.

mrutledge
December 12th, 2007, 02:07 PM
OK. I just had the opportunity to look at these images in full size on a much better monitor than I have. The good pictures are actually REALLY good. The average pictures are actually pretty good. And the bad pictures are still pretty bad.

Lesson: Full size on a nice monitor can make a huge difference. I suppose that's the one area where film really outshines digital. If I ever decide to try to make money at this game I'm going to have to invest in some more hardware.

-Matt

Thanks all.

-Matt

ColoJeeper
December 19th, 2007, 02:47 PM
So, what do you think? This is the picture I wanted to take for the POTW 15 for something from the past. Just didn't get around to doing it.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o76/ColoJeeper/Favorites/DSC_0115bw.jpg

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o76/ColoJeeper/Favorites/DSC_0113bw.jpg

thenimirra
December 19th, 2007, 11:16 PM
I really like it. I think I prefer the second one....makes me feel almost sad or lonely. Not sure if that was what you wanted to achieve, but that's how it made me feel...drawn in somehow. I don't always have the words to express why I like something, sometimes I just know I do.

Rhino95
December 20th, 2007, 02:31 PM
I like it alot. You should try taking it from the other side to have the shadow behind it...if you can avoid having YOUR shadow in the frame. Defly cool though. Nice shot.

Tiffany
December 20th, 2007, 02:40 PM
I really like the second one. The shadow really does it for me

mrutledge
December 20th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Am I the only one that prefers the first? The 2nd feels a little

-Matt

thenimirra
January 4th, 2008, 11:00 AM
I did family portraits for my boss, the editor of the paper.

He told me he wants me to take photos of his family throughout the year.

This was my first attempt at some serious PS....the grandmother wanted me to remove her double chin. I am still in the process of doing that.

Take a look and give me your thoughts.

http://www.picture-yourworld.com/gallery/4078201#237554092

Jocko
January 5th, 2008, 03:25 PM
I did family portraits for my boss, the editor of the paper.

He told me he wants me to take photos of his family throughout the year.

This was my first attempt at some serious PS....the grandmother wanted me to remove her double chin. I am still in the process of doing that.

Take a look and give me your thoughts.

http://www.picture-yourworld.com/gallery/4078201#237554092

Password protected.

cheftyler
January 5th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Password protected.

Thanks, Jocko, I went to look at it the other day and forgot to say it was PW protected.

Tiffany
January 5th, 2008, 05:39 PM
password is newspaper

Some of them it appears to have a harsh light from the left that is making a big blown spot on Greg's head (check image #15 for what I am talking about). Looks like an easy PS fix. No glasses on today, but a few of the images appear to be blurry/OOF (check image #31 for what I am talking about). Maybe remove those from the proofing sheet?

Greg and family will be happy with the pics for sure. They are very nice.

thenimirra
January 7th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Sorry guys...I thought the link I posted would take you directly to the site without needing the password.

Thanks for the comments....I bought some new software that really helped with the retouching, which I placed on disk but haven't put on my website yet. It was strange shooting at his house....it was part of the deal because he wanted a photog to come to him. So I had to work with the light that was there. He has a ton of skylights in his house, so all these shots were taken from the natural light and a touch of fill flash.

Do you think that close to 50 images is too much? Someone told me that they thought it was....

Tiffany
January 7th, 2008, 01:26 PM
I would show the best 15-20 and that's it.

thenimirra
January 7th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Greg just took a look at the photos (his wife didn't give him the password! :)

He said he liked them! Whew, glad that's over!

Rhino95
January 7th, 2008, 07:18 PM
With number 40, that piece of wood in the back is going through the lady on the left's head. But when converted to B&W like in number 43, it's no big deal.

Just something to keep and eye out for in the future.

If it were my family I would be pleased. Good work.

thenimirra
January 7th, 2008, 11:31 PM
whoops! Nice catch Rhino...I have to be more cognizant of my backgrounds!

Rhino95
January 7th, 2008, 11:36 PM
Course. Some [most] people wouldn't notice it so it really isn't that big of a deal...but it's the little things.

thenimirra
January 8th, 2008, 07:44 AM
one of my instructors is always on me about that too, so I really need to pay more attention! :)

Mark
January 10th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Can I play?

http://www.gallery.markspeterson.com/d/10945-2/12-26-2005-171.jpg

Full size image (1800x1215) (http://www.gallery.markspeterson.com/d/10943-1/12-26-2005-171.jpg)

Rhino95
January 10th, 2008, 08:33 PM
So I hope you don't mind (I was bored). Biggest thing I noticed was lack of contrast, so all I did was boost the contrast and the blacks a bit. Also a very slight crop just to get rid of the grey "thing" in the sky.

Excellent shot though! Composed very well. I think.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n211/rddtld6/Misc/BW-Edit.jpg

mrutledge
January 11th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Can I play?

I love it. If someone took a picture like that of me... Well, after saying, "When did I become a hot chick?" I'd be sending prints to my parents and probably sneaking one onto the wifes desk at work.

-Matt

thenimirra
January 11th, 2008, 08:47 AM
I think it's a great pic too! I love the treatment with the black and white because it makes the image seem timeless. I love that the subject is pushed to the right of the frame, adhering to basic rules of composition and I even like the fact that the subject isn't looking directly at the camera. Her eyes "lead" the viewer to an unseen thing to the left.

Nicely done.

Mark
January 11th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Thanks all! I was worried about boosting the contrast too much because it increased the ruddiness in her cheeks. I kinda like the washed out/overexposed look in b&w myself, but that's just personal preference, I guess.

Jocko
January 11th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Can I play?

I think this is a great image. Well composed for the most part. Here is my take along with an edit to the original. This is only my opinion. Everyone has their own taste and style.

I like the fact that she is not centered in the image (for a horizontal shot). She might be a little too off center, though. Maybe too much negative space on the left. I think the sky is a distraction. Your eye is usually drawn to the brightest point, or point of most contrast. I also would have chosen a wider aperture in order to blur the background, giving the subject total dominance in the photo. When shooting portraits you generally don't want to give the subject competition for attention.

Again, this is only my opinion. There are some general rules that apply to photography. They can be followed to the "T" or used as guidlines. These "rules" do help to make better pictures. Leading the eye to the subject and placing the subject in the frame that is most pleasing to the eye.

Like I said earlier, GREAT shot.
http://chadjockphotography.smugmug.com/photos/242194244-O.jpg

thenimirra
January 11th, 2008, 02:41 PM
It's all very subjective too, because I actually really liked having the vehicle be a part of the image...it told me a little bit about her character. Plus the monotones keep it from distracting too heavily from the main subject.

Mark
January 11th, 2008, 02:47 PM
I think this is a great image. Well composed for the most part. Here is my take along with an edit to the original. This is only my opinion. Everyone has their own taste and style.

I like the fact that she is not centered in the image (for a horizontal shot). She might be a little too off center, though. Maybe too much negative space on the left. I think the sky is a distraction. Your eye is usually drawn to the brightest point, or point of most contrast. I also would have chosen a wider aperture in order to blur the background, giving the subject total dominance in the photo. When shooting portraits you generally don't want to give the subject competition for attention.

Again, this is only my opinion. There are some general rules that apply to photography. They can be followed to the "T" or used as guidlines. These "rules" do help to make better pictures. Leading the eye to the subject and placing the subject in the frame that is most pleasing to the eye.

Like I said earlier, GREAT shot.
http://chadjockphotography.smugmug.com/photos/242194244-O.jpg

Alright Chad, what did you do to make the photo pop? :D I liked the shot before, but somehow you made her really stand out. I'm no PS wizard, so would you mind sharing a brief overview of what you did to get her to stand out against the background?

I really like the level of blur you did with the background - like Sheba noted, I also think the background is important for the context of the shot, and I really wanted to retain that, which I think you've done.

Thanks for your input.

thenimirra
January 11th, 2008, 02:50 PM
I think he may have used a Guassian Blur....What did you do Chad? He may have done some things in levels or curves to burn the image and make her stand out more because she appears brighter than the rest of the image. Nice post processing work.

Jocko
January 11th, 2008, 04:49 PM
It's all very subjective too, because I actually really liked having the vehicle be a part of the image...it told me a little bit about her character. Plus the monotones keep it from distracting too heavily from the main subject.

I agree the Jeep (or Willys??) adds to the photo. I just don't think it should get as much attention as the main subject. Your eye should be drawn to the person, particularly their face. Props shouldn't get equal attention to the main subject. Your mind will know there is a "prop" there but the center of interest is the girl. I think we are on the same page, I might not be conveying myself correctly through the keyboard.

Alright Chad, what did you do to make the photo pop? :D I liked the shot before, but somehow you made her really stand out. I'm no PS wizard, so would you mind sharing a brief overview of what you did to get her to stand out against the background?

I really like the level of blur you did with the background - like Sheba noted, I also think the background is important for the context of the shot, and I really wanted to retain that, which I think you've done.

Thanks for your input.

I did do a very slight curves adjustment mainly for added contrast. The main "pop" comes from blurring the background using Gaussion Blur on a separate layer. Radius 8.0 and then adjust opacity to taste. I used a layer mask to brush her back in, but you could use the Eraser Tool to expose her from the layer underneath. I like the mask/brush method because it's easy to fix mistakes. You could do this in camera by setting the aperture to f4 to f5.6, for this shot. That should give you a depth of field shallow enough to throw the background out of focus. Always focus on the eyes if your camera allows for selective focus. Lastly, I used the Burn Tool to do some selective burning on the flattie and background. Your eyes should naturally go to the face.

Rhino95
January 12th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Lastly, I used the Burn Tool to do some selective burning on the flattie and background. Your eyes should naturally go to the face.

I was going to say it looks like a little lens vignetting. You made the photo better. Nice job, well done.

rockkrusher
February 6th, 2008, 12:00 AM
***IMAGES MAY BE NSFW***

Okay I didnt want to put this in the curves theme for my own reasons but the critique parlor will work

rockkrusher
February 6th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Sorry Tiff they were okay for myspace and no nudity but I will take them down anyway.

Rhino95
February 6th, 2008, 11:06 PM
So this is being entered into the Lifetouch employee photo contest...its not the best portrait I've taken, but it's the best one I have in full res so I can print it as an 8x10...anything I should do to it before I send it out? Be as mean and cruel as you like! :thumbsup:

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n211/rddtld6/Photography/LifetouchEntry2.jpg

Tiffany
February 7th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Sorry Tiff they were okay for myspace and no nudity but I will take them down anyway.
You were cool with the links, just wanted folks to know before clicking that's all. :)

rockkrusher
February 7th, 2008, 08:52 PM
So this is being entered into the Lifetouch employee photo contest...its not the best portrait I've taken, but it's the best one I have in full res so I can print it as an 8x10...anything I should do to it before I send it out? Be as mean and cruel as you like! :thumbsup:

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n211/rddtld6/Photography/LifetouchEntry2.jpg

Hard to give an honest opinion with out knowing what you were trying to achieve with the shot.
What turns my eye away is the need for a tighter crop on the subject since it is a portrait and to clean up the grain/noise.Angle and pose are good though.

rockkrusher
February 7th, 2008, 08:58 PM
You were cool with the links, just wanted folks to know before clicking that's all. :)

Okay just didnt want to break any rules,so here they are again
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i128/rockkrusher79/BG068.jpg
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i128/rockkrusher79/BG064.jpg

Please note that while the 2 shots do not contain nudity they are solid fabric lingere shots and may not be concidered safe for work

OFRD_GRL
February 7th, 2008, 09:24 PM
I like that hes not in the middle. Too much space over the head IMO.

I like the grain in there.. but some might think it was accidental... did you take it or add the grain? if you added it... maybe the person not have any and the background more pronounced grain?

Rhino95
February 7th, 2008, 11:06 PM
I accidentally shot it at ISO 800, but took advantage of it and tried to be creative.

Rhino95
March 11th, 2008, 12:30 AM
But you won't hurt my feelings if you don't. Thats why I posted it here to see what others thought...She was patient for a while then got sick of me flashing her :D

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n211/rddtld6/Photography/Snickers2.jpg

mrutledge
March 11th, 2008, 07:25 AM
First, stop flashing your cat. That's sick. :D

I'm not really a big fan of cats and I just don't really "get" them. There are some things about the picture that are pretty cool. The feet for one. The almost-reflection on whatever it is she's standing on. The ears are pretty cool.

But like most cats, she seems to have that look on her face that says, "Imma gonna eat your face if you die at home."

So, cool picture. I'm sure to have nightmares about it.

-Matt

Rhino95
March 11th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Haha, thanks for the entertaining comment! She's actually sitting on the hardwood floor. Live view came in handy!

~tc~
March 11th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Ummm ... this is going to sound harsh ...

To me, it's a snapshot of your cat, nothing more. The pose is kinda, well, uninteresting. Something like her batting at the camera pissed off at the flash would be much more interesting IMHO.

I admit I'm not a huge fan of B&W, but don't see how it adds anything here, if anything, it takes away. The background is so dark, that it's like she's floating in space. Some more contrast of a "horizon" where the floor stops and the darkness begins would help IMHO.

Just my $0.02 ... hope it helps!

thenimirra
March 12th, 2008, 11:33 AM
I think those eyes are classic cat eyes though...the expression is classic and every cat owner has probably seen it. It usually happens just right before my cat get's a bug up her arse and starts tearing through the house for reasons only she is aware of.

It's that "OMG it's a ghost and no one can see it but me!" expression that cracks me up!

thenimirra
March 18th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Whew...thank God that is over. I didn't realize how worried I was about those artistic nude pics until I finished them and handed them off to my client today.

Teri is very pleased and is now ready to show the safe ones (as well as the not so safe ones) so please critique and tell me what you think.

http://www.picture-yourworld.com/gallery/4539354_UzKHv#266102472

http://www.picture-yourworld.com/gallery/4297078_HDPQD#264731682

http://www.picture-yourworld.com/gallery/4519996_jxGiM/1/266101623_uXket#266101623

Password "Donovan"

rockkrusher
March 18th, 2008, 05:54 PM
I think you did quite well on them. Some of the lighting was a little harsh for my taste.I prefer to play with shadows a little more,but thats me.You did a good job of choosing flattering poses.If she lost 50 pounds she has alot to be proud of and you captured that proudness well.
On a side note I was surprised to see Angeluca in mainstream type shots. Her husband is a good photographer as well.

thenimirra
March 18th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Thanks Rock!

I have been experimenting with light...especially overexposure. The shot Teri loved the most was one of the ones I played with where she is totally overexposed on purpose. I didn't think she would like it, as it's purely a personal stylistic tool I've been messing with. It blew me away when she said THAT shot was her favorite. I figured it would be her least favorite. Not everyone will like it, which is why I only tried the overexposure technique a few times and made all the rest of the shots black and white or color with the correct exposure.

Yes, Angeluca is married to DanielK. DanielK is a member of the Flickr Colorado Strobist group that I recently joined. Angeluca modeled for us during a Strobist meet and greet but the pics that Daniel takes of her are decidely...well, not mainstream. :)

pineneedle
March 18th, 2008, 10:11 PM
My Dear Thenimirra,

I enjoyed viewing the images that you have provided. Let me observe at the outset, based upon 30 years working in serious photography, that portraying the human body is the most demanding of all photographic disciplines. Part of the problem is that figure studies and portrayals of the face have been made for many thousands of years. Let's set aside primitive things like cave paintings and statuary like the Venus of Willendorf, and just talk about the human face and figure since Ancient Greece. There are thousands of stunning, heart-breakingly beautiful renderings of the human face and form between, say, the Critias Boy and us.

I know that you are probably not interested in a long-winded post on art history, but hear me out. My point is that it is terrifically demanding to do figure-and-face work today, even with our incredible image-making technology, that hasn't already been done before, and been done better. You have to understand this when you undertake to render the human face or form. Most people don't and they lapse into cliches.

As a result of the vast, rich trove of images of people from antiquity to the present, the current figure artist or portraitist (in whatever medium) is put into the position of being a minor leaguer suddenly thrust into a world series game. The typical result is that his images are either derivative and imitative, on the one hand, or made with some forced novelty in an attempt to set them apart, on the other hand.

Thus, one rarely encounters a photograph of the human face or figure that is truly both excellent AND original. It is a hard game. Honestly, the best that you can hope for is something good, by which I mean, an image that is visually striking, that is aesthetically well-crafted, that is worthy.

Having said all that, I commend you on a photo in the group accessed by the second link. In the second row, far right, is a lovely photograph of woman's face in profile, seen against a white ground. This is a fine picture. Its inherent excellence outshines everything else that you show there.

One of my favorite sculptural pieces is "Head of a Woman," by Elie Nadleman. It is currently in the collection of the St. Louis Art Museum. Your photo is strongly reminiscent of that lovely marble depiction of the head of a woman. Notice the generic, non-particular title, "Head of a Woman." We don't know who she is, where she lives, what sort of life she had, what loves, what disappointments, and so on. We only see in the marble bust something timeless and lovely, something quintessentially feminine. I see these same qualities in your photo that I noted above. In comparison to it, the photo of the model astraddle the chair is, don't be offended, slightly grotesque. If I had made that image, I would not show it to anyone as evidence of my skill as a photo-artist. On the other hand, I would proudly show the photo of the lovely face seen in profile. You struck gold there.

I hope that this is helpful to you, and I hope that I have not offended you. I really love that face in profile.

Pineneedle

rockkrusher
March 19th, 2008, 05:48 AM
[QUOTE=pineneedle;1036721]My Dear Thenimirra,

I enjoyed viewing the images that you have provided. Let me observe at the outset, based upon 30 years working in serious photography, that portraying the human body is the most demanding of all photographic disciplines. Part of the problem is that figure studies and portrayals of the face have been made for many thousands of years. Let's set aside primitive things like cave paintings and statuary like the Venus of Willendorf, and just talk about the human face and figure since Ancient Greece. There are thousands of stunning, heart-breakingly beautiful renderings of the human face and form between, say, the Critias Boy and us.

I know that you are probably not interested in a long-winded post on art history, but hear me out. My point is that it is terrifically demanding to do figure-and-face work today, even with our incredible image-making technology, that hasn't already been done before, and been done better. You have to understand this when you undertake to render the human face or form. Most people don't and they lapse into cliches.

As a result of the vast, rich trove of images of people from antiquity to the present, the current figure artist or portraitist (in whatever medium) is put into the position of being a minor leaguer suddenly thrust into a world series game. The typical result is that his images are either derivative and imitative, on the one hand, or made with some forced novelty in an attempt to set them apart, on the other hand.

Thus, one rarely encounters a photograph of the human face or figure that is truly both excellent AND original. It is a hard game. Honestly, the best that you can hope for is something good, by which I mean, an image that is visually striking, that is aesthetically well-crafted, that is worthy.

Having said all that, I commend you on a photo in the group accessed by the second link. In the second row, far right, is a lovely photograph of woman's face in profile, seen against a white ground. This is a fine picture. Its inherent excellence outshines everything else that you show there.

One of my favorite sculptural pieces is "Head of a Woman," by Elie Nadleman. It is currently in the collection of the St. Louis Art Museum. Your photo is strongly reminiscent of that lovely marble depiction of the head of a woman. Notice the generic, non-particular title, "Head of a Woman." We don't know who she is, where she lives, what sort of life she had, what loves, what disappointments, and so on. We only see in the marble bust something timeless and lovely, something quintessentially feminine. I see these same qualities in your photo that I noted above. In comparison to it, the photo of the model astraddle the chair is, don't be offended, slightly grotesque. If I had made that image, I would not show it to anyone as evidence of my skill as a photo-artist. On the other hand, I would proudly show the photo of the lovely face seen in profile. You struck gold there.

I hope that this is helpful to you, and I hope that I have not offended you. I really love that face in profile.

Pineneedle[/QUOT

For such a long winded college lecture you realy said nothing at all except one image resembled a sculpture from times past and one you found gross.I dont see how this could be helpfull in anyway to any one asking for a critique.

pineneedle
March 19th, 2008, 09:16 AM
My Dear Rockkrusher,

Thank you for the response to my note. I am sorry that you saw no value in my remarks. To each his own, as they say. I don't think you really got my point, but that is O.K., too.

I take from your comments that I misunderstand the function of this thread. Apparently you think that to critique means: a.) to express approval; b.) to make "photography 1" comments about lighting, composition, etc. The idea, then, would be that the photographer undergoing the critique would take away: a.) good feelings about his work (ah! the magical self-esteem), or: b.) some insight about the materials or the technology of the craft.

If my analysis is correct, then, you all have no interest in talking about the ways in which your photos fit into the history of photography and the larger history of art. Such a view of "critique" is pretty limited, and, not of any real value to the person undergoing the critique.

But, of course, every man his own Pope, to each his own, whaterver pops your corn. For my part, if I were the one who submitted images for thoughtful response, I would want more from my viewers than the above. I would want to learn something that would genuinely advance my work to a new level of sophistication and significance, not just some congratulatory nostrums from my friends on the board. If the latter is the case, I have absolutely no problem with such a thread, but I want to tell you that it amounts to "doing each other's laundry" from an intellectual and aesthetic point of view.

Before I sign off and leave you all to your self-congratulation, I would be interested in hearing something from Thenimirra, herself. I am interested to know if she regards my "lecture" as valueless, sees nothing in it that will advance the quality of her work AND her understanding of her work. If she tells me that I am full of bull, as you have, then, so be it. Believe me, I will not be offended, as I am not offended by your remarks.

Pineneedle

Jocko
March 19th, 2008, 10:22 AM
For my part, if I were the one who submitted images for thoughtful response, I would want more from my viewers than the above. I would want to learn something that would genuinely advance my work to a new level of sophistication and significance, not just some congratulatory nostrums from my friends on the board. If the latter is the case, I have absolutely no problem with such a thread, but I want to tell you that it amounts to "doing each other's laundry" from an intellectual and aesthetic point of view.

Well said. I agree 100% with pineneedle's assessment on critiques. There is one person in here who constantly posts mediocre images and is offended by any negative critique. Without understanding the "hows" and "whys" of photography, a person can never grow. I have always been my biggest critic. I can see flaws in everyone of my images. I learn everytime I shoot and hope to one day be great.

Knowing and studying artists from the past is a way to gain understanding. Learning their lighting and posing techniques gives us the knowledge to become better artists/photogs. There are basic elements that make great photographs, whether you're shooting portraits, landscapes, nature, etc. Without knowing and understanding these elements we get snapshots.

The above is not directed towards Sheba, but just a general statement.

thenimirra
March 19th, 2008, 11:57 AM
I see the truth in all three statements. I agree that studying classical works of art can help modern day photographers grow in their craft. And I do welcome critiques where the intent is to offer the photographer ideas or perspectives on how to improve their image. I don't think it's helpful to use this as a platform to attack someone else's work under the guise of constructive criticism.

I think one thing that is missing in this conversation is the understanding that these photos were not being submitted as a work of art. I was being paid to produce images for a client who had very specific instructions on the kind of photos she wanted taken, including which ones should be color and or B&W, what could be shown in the images and what couldn't, etc. etc. I had to work within those parameters in order to please the client and get paid for my efforts. Teri trusted me and allowed me to take some creative licensing with the images and we worked together to come up with the poses that were both creative and flattering for her. Here is her comment:

"These are the type of shoots that happen once in a lifetime for the ordinary person. It is your chance to feel beautiful and capture it in print."

In this regard, I think Rock's comments were right on because the ultimate goal was to please the client and depict her in a way that she found pleasing. Rock stated that not all of the images were to his liking, as I tend to like heavy contrast. I think it's unfair to say that his responses were congratulatory instead of thoughtful, or less helpful than the comments that pineneedle made. I appreciate the fact that anyone would take the time to not only look at my images, but go that extra step in commenting as well.

As we have said, to each their own. It is ultimately up to the photographer to decide if some action should be taken to change the images after a critique. I agreed from earlier posters that the wrinkles in the background material was distracting, and I corrected those in the final product. I disagree that the only photo of merit or strength is a single profile of Teri, while the other where she is stradling the chair is grotesque. How is telling someone that an image is grotesque something that will help them advance in their photography? I think that is more of a personal question of taste. But Pine's other critiques were well taken and not offensive to me at.

My only question is this: I went back to try and find the image Pine was talking about and I couldn't find it. The galleries have changed quite a bit, as there were some images that Teri didn't want shown online, so I would appreciate if Pine took another look and pointed out to me which profile he is refering too.

pineneedle
March 19th, 2008, 01:35 PM
My Dear Thenimirra,

Thanks for taking the trouble of addressing my comments. In defense of my post, I will say that, had I known about the commercial conditions that took away some of your creative latitude, then I wouldn't have commented at all. But since last evening was the first time I came across this thread, I took the initial post at its face, and chose to comment on the most recent images.

For the record, I did not mean the "self-congratulatory" comment to apply specifically to Rockkrusher. It was a comment on the general tenor of most of the posts that I read. Take from it whatever you will.

The image to which I refer is among the photos accessed by the second of the three links you posted. Oddly, it is in a different place today than it was in last night; hence, the confusion. It is on page 1, bottom row, second from the left. It is the only image of its type on that page.

So, I think I understand the mentality of this thread better now, and for my part, I think I shall take my ramblings elsewhere. There has been altogether too much talk about people and their aims and feelings in this last exchange, and too little talk about the art of photography. As I said, to each his own.

Pineneedle

rockkrusher
March 19th, 2008, 06:15 PM
I disagree that the only photo of merit or strength is a single profile of Teri, while the other where she is stradling the chair is grotesque. How is telling someone that an image is grotesque something that will help them advance in their photography?

This was the type of critique I was refering to.Yes I refered to the overall comment as a lecture and basicly unhelpfull. I do agree that one needs to study other works of art and others images and develop their own style.I am a big fan of Scott Smith and I have spent many hours just studying his work.I am also a big fan of Boris Vallejo, Sorrayamma and Olivia to name a few.While I do know several photogs (and have worked with) in the Denver area many of which just graduated from the art institute I don't know any one on this forum personaly but some day will.
I have posted very few images here and quite frankly they were some of my lesser work since most of what I shoot can't be put on here.I too am my own worst critic with my clients in second.With every shoot I do that I can post some where I put on Model Mayhem for a critique so that I can learn from others even when they rip an image to shreds.
So sorry if I ruffled anyones feathers.
Fred G.

csutke
March 20th, 2008, 01:57 AM
So I am not totally new to the whole world of photography but its been several years since my last class (high school, 6 yrs ago) and was trying to take some good pictures to show the wife of what my new job is like. What does everybody think of these:

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w5/icdubois/Rig%2024/IMG_3017.jpg

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w5/icdubois/Rig%2024/rigshots015.jpg

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w5/icdubois/Rig%2024/IMG_3021.jpg

Thanks

thenimirra
March 20th, 2008, 11:17 AM
In the first image, my question is: are you trying to focus on the machinery in the background, the vehicle in the front, neither or both?

The reason why I ask: having the light on the machinery in the background makes that the first part of the image where my eye focuses, but I'm not sure if you did that intentionally.

If you didn't, you may want to try some fill flash to light up the shadows of the vehicle in the foreground and give even light to the picture from the front of the image all the way to the back where the machinery is. It is a good idea to use flash during shoots in the daylight specifically for this reason. If you were shooting in auto mode, the camera probably thought it had plenty of light because it was metering off the available light in the background. But you have to be smarter than the camera by adding the fill light.

I love the beautiful sky in all the images, particularly the last one with the moon. But I think both of those images could use some cropping and sharping.

csutke
March 20th, 2008, 10:54 PM
So I took your advise and tweaked them a little:
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w5/icdubois/edited%20pics/th_rigshots015-2.jpg (http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w5/icdubois/edited%20pics/rigshots015-2.jpg)
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w5/icdubois/edited%20pics/th_IMG_3017-1.jpg (http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w5/icdubois/edited%20pics/IMG_3017-1.jpg)
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w5/icdubois/edited%20pics/th_IMG_3021-1.jpg (http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w5/icdubois/edited%20pics/IMG_3021-1.jpg)

thenimirra
March 21st, 2008, 10:14 AM
Much better, but you know that is just my two cents worth! ;)

I think that the lighting overall is more even and better in the second image, even though the emphasis is still on the machinery. And I like that you don't have the horizon in the dead center of the third image, although I think I would like to see more of the earth and a little less of the sky (that's just a personal thing, though). I love images of the moon, but there isn't much going on in that sky other than the moon... you need the moon to add interest to the sky...otherwise it would just be a wide expanse of nothing.

The sky in the first image is amazing. Were you using a filter?

csutke
March 21st, 2008, 11:31 AM
Im think so but i dont know what kind it was, I was using my partners Canon Rebel XTi, I can ask her what it was if you would like me to firgure it out.

thenimirra
March 21st, 2008, 03:40 PM
I wonder if it was a ND filter or a graduated filter...hmmmmm yes please do ask. thanks

csutke
March 21st, 2008, 07:56 PM
it may take a few days but i will find out

csutke
March 22nd, 2008, 10:16 PM
she just said that it was a polarized filter

ColoradoSkier
March 23rd, 2008, 09:29 AM
For setting up shots like those, I'd suggest referencing the work of David Tejada (http://www.tejadaphoto.com/ind-oil-gas/index.html). He also has a really good blog (http://davidtejada.blogspot.com/) about how he sets up his shoots.

Rhino95
March 24th, 2008, 11:05 PM
she just said that it was a polarized filter

Thats what I woulda guessed.

Luv_Jeeps
March 26th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Shot this a couple of years ago with the D70......
http://ju.nrfg.com/J-1R.jpg

Rhino95
March 26th, 2008, 11:07 PM
Brutally honest. Her elbow way up in the air bothers me. Maybe if she was leaning with her arms crossed or something. Everything else is great tho.

mrutledge
March 27th, 2008, 08:00 AM
I find the pose refreshing. It's unique. As long as she likes it (assuming a paid portrait) everything is good. Great job catching a real smile too.

The thing that bothers me is the really bright light in the top right. It's so much brighter than the rest of the picture my eyes keep being drawn to it. It should be something fixable through software or cropping.

-Matt

thenimirra
March 27th, 2008, 09:48 AM
I agree....you can try burning that area in PS. I would also suggest adding some fill light to bring out her face more and further separate her from the background.

~tc~
March 27th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Or you could rotate it 90* CCW so it looks like she's laying on (well, levitating over) the log! :D

ColoradoSkier
March 27th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Or you could rotate it 90* CCW so it looks like she's laying on (well, levitating over) the log! :D

Then you would have to work some magic on the hair...

~tc~
March 27th, 2008, 01:03 PM
True, and the pulls for the hood too ...

mrutledge
March 27th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Then you would have to work some magic on the hair...

True, and the pulls for the hood too ...

If anyone asks, just say, "White Rain."

Rhino95
March 28th, 2008, 08:34 PM
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n211/rddtld6/Photography/FlowerBoredwtmk.jpg

Jeffro600
March 28th, 2008, 08:40 PM
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n211/rddtld6/Photography/FlowerBoredwtmk.jpg

Nice composition but IMO, the color and sharpness are a bit lacking. A higher Fstop number would have probably helped out with the sharpness and adding a little vibrance in LR would make the yellow and pale green stand out a little more and make it more interesting. The overall shape of the flower is not very pleasing either...

Good shot of what it is though.

Rhino95
March 28th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Mother printed an 8x10 and the yellow turned out perfect. However, I think you may be right on bringing out the green. It IS pale. Gimme a sec.

Rhino95
March 28th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Alright, So I tried bringing out the green and it didn't do very much so...I B&W'd it all but the orange thingies (Thats a scientific term). And brought out the orange a bit more.

And I also burned out most of the rest of the plant.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n211/rddtld6/Photography/FlowerCreative.jpg

mrutledge
March 28th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Alright, So I tried bringing out the green and it didn't do very much so...I B&W'd it all but the orange thingies (Thats a scientific term). And brought out the orange a bit more.

Show me one with the "thingies" in B&W too. I think you're getting close. Way better than the cat. :D

-Matt

Rhino95
March 28th, 2008, 10:11 PM
I like the thingies in color...personally.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n211/rddtld6/Photography/FlowerCreative-1.jpg

Jeffro600
March 28th, 2008, 10:17 PM

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n211/rddtld6/Photography/FlowerCreative.jpg

The original was better i thought

~tc~
March 30th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Personally, I would rather see some more color/brightness in the stem, it helps lead you into the frame instead of just a white "splotch" in the middle of nothing

Rhino95
March 30th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Personally, I would rather see some more color/brightness in the stem, it helps lead you into the frame instead of just a white "splotch" in the middle of nothing

Yeah, I would too. I tried but the colors came out really weird. o without retaking the pic, this is what I got to work with. Oh well. Looks cool printed eitherway.

mrutledge
March 31st, 2008, 10:57 AM
I like the thingies in color...personally.

I suppose it depends what you're going for. The thingies (Pistols?) look good in yellow and it's a neat picture that way. I sort of like the white blob look of the straight B&W. Sort of looks like something inspired by Ansell Adams. But again, I suppose it depends what you were going for.

-Matt

Rhino95
April 13th, 2008, 10:47 PM
I like the concept, but the picture just isn't that great. What does it need?

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n211/rddtld6/Photography/P4134895-Editwtmk.jpg

ColoradoSkier
April 14th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Better focus on the foreground I think.

Mike Boyle
April 14th, 2008, 10:25 AM
I'm no expert (not even close) but I think it might look better if there was more of the foreground and less of the background. Looking at it currently makes me dizzy due to the large blury area. This is just my oppinion.

snicho
April 14th, 2008, 10:30 AM
I'm no expert (not even close) but I think it might look better if there was more of the foreground and less of the background. Looking at it currently makes me dizzy due to the large blury area. This is just my oppinion.

X2 - I was trying to figure out what it was. Thought maybe I'd like to see the background a bit more in focus, but I think what Mike said captures what my initial reaction was. . . just a bit too much area is blurry. I like the concept as well, though.

thenimirra
April 14th, 2008, 01:48 PM
I actually like being able to see the mountains. I agree with Chester that the foreground where your main subject is OOF and needs to be sharpened.

ColoradoSkier
April 21st, 2008, 11:09 AM
Does the fence add to this image, or take away from it?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2044/2430968583_bb72a1de38_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/chesterbullock/2430968583/)

For me, it adds to it and prompted me to title it "Comfortably Removed". But I guess I can see where some may not like it.

Jeffro600
April 21st, 2008, 11:20 AM
I dunno...im kinda on the fence about it...http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z132/glibartfan/rimshot.gif

:flipoff2:

Anywho...i kinda like it but i kinda dont. Maybe its the rest of the picture thats not doing it for me...maybe if the batter was a little more mid swing?? Or maybe its the fact that theres ALOT of open space around your subject and its kinda distracting. You could have taken a step back or two, used a little more zoom, slightly tighter aperture and still had the chain link visable but would have had the players fill the frame more. Not a bad shot by any means though!

~tc~
April 21st, 2008, 09:57 PM
I think it would be better if the fence was more symmetrical

RebelRescuer
May 8th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Please be brutally honest. I haven't learned how to use my camera except to turn it on and hit the button. Nor do I have photoshop (its on hubby's computer so I can access it, but don't). I'm no photographer and would like any input. Oh and if you have any input, please dumb it down for me. lol. Thanks.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b236/SweetGeorge/DannyJeffy0001.jpg

team D.A.T.A.
May 8th, 2008, 12:02 PM
I think I like it. I am a fan of Sepia. The shadows are good. The balance is good. Good shot and good work.

RebelRescuer
May 8th, 2008, 12:20 PM
A couple more. These are a mother's day project for my mother-in-law.

I liked this one, but my BIL is totally chuckling and that kind of messed it up.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b236/SweetGeorge/djtest0001.jpg

A couple of closeups...

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b236/SweetGeorge/RDannyJeffy20001.jpg

The drawbacks of color-changing glasses.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b236/SweetGeorge/RDannyJeffy10001.jpg

The interesting thing to me is that the photos REALLY match their personalities. Hubby (in the hat) is very serious, very quiet. And his brother is a total jokester. I hope their mom sees their personalities in the photos.

And yes, I realize Hubby is wearing a Texas hat. However, that's where his corporate headquarters are and its his trademark. You rarely see him without a Texas hat, so we had to have one in the photos.

PS--these were taken at the Clear Creek living history park thingie in Golden. Not only do they have cabins and stuff, but if you cross the bridge, there are some awesome places to get right down by Clear Creek. Lots of trees, some rocks, etc. Just a cool place to take pics (especially of men).

EDIT-Not men in general. I meant like Bring your own man and take his photo. You know what I mean. BYOM. Whatever.

Rhino95
May 8th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Maybe a little fill flash in the first one would have been nice, but I think they are still good photos. It'll be a nice gift.

Pinky & the Jeep
May 8th, 2008, 07:08 PM
OK, I'll give you brutal honesty. Overall they are nice images, just a couple things to watch for when doing portraits. The 7-10 split is death in a portrait, so avoid it like the plague. (Sorry its a bowling reference well used in shooting, just in case it refers to the two people on opposite sides of the frame) HOWEVER, you did a really good job of bringing them together in the last photo without making the brothers touch...which is usually icky for grown men unless they've been drinking or playing sports.

As opposed to sepia or black and white I actually prefer desaturation, that way you still have the slight appearance of color, but at the same time a nice more simple image. I usually desat somewhere between 90-95% but you may not have that option on whatever software you have.

One thing I would say about the last image is try not to cut of their line of focus too close. If they are together and both looking off into the distance like this try putting their backs, in this case hubby's back, against the edge of the frame and giving the right side a little breathing room so the viewers eye can ponder what they are looking at.

Direct sunlight in a portrait is difficult, made even more so by the lenses, so a nice place to shoot is under a tree, or wait for a cloud to come over the sun. That way you avoid the lens issue, of course, but also squinty eyes and wrinkled faces. The last image again was a perfect example of the shade cover. It may be a touch underexposed, but that can be fixed.

This may be way too much info. But take it for what you will, I hope some of it helps! I think the images are great for a Mom's day gift, particularly if they haven't had pictures like this. One thing is for sure ALL of your images beat Target or Walmart portrait studios hands down, so keep it up.
Jenn

~tc~
May 8th, 2008, 10:00 PM
They look OK, but I think the water in the first one is a little distracting. I think it would be a little better with less depth of field, which you get by selecting a larger aperture (lower f-stop number).

The picture at the fence has the shallower depth of field, see how the trees/leaves are kinda out of focus? The camera probably set that automatically because of the lower light level.

A GREAT book to learn this kind of stuff is called "Understanding Exposure". It goes into a little bit of composition, but mostly addresses the relationship between ISO, aperture, and shutter speed.

RebelRescuer
May 8th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Thanks guys! I'm gonna study up on what you're saying because honestly, I have no clue. I'm not sure what an aperature is, but I'll be finding out!

I must say that its a lot of fun to take the pics and see what happens!

mrutledge
May 8th, 2008, 11:47 PM
They look OK, but I think the water in the first one is a little distracting.

I'm going to disagree with this statement on the water. I love the texture it adds. The DOF blur is more traditional, but it took me quite some time to figure out it was water and not something else. This is one of those "I don't know much about art, but I know what I like" moments.

The fist one is my favorite. (Not that my vote matters. It's not my mothers day gift.) The only thing I would have done differently is used some flash to fill in some shadow on the faces. Some sort of reflecting device is also an option, but given the lenses it probably wouldn't have worked.

And as stated, WAY better than one of the low end portrait studios. As a gift, they can't be beat. Just add a neat frame and you're good to go.

-Matt

Rhino95
May 9th, 2008, 01:45 AM
Thanks guys! I'm gonna study up on what you're saying because honestly, I have no clue. I'm not sure what an aperature is, but I'll be finding out!

I must say that its a lot of fun to take the pics and see what happens!

Throw it in manual. Drop the aperature/ f stop down as low as it will alow. Then change the shutter speed accordingly. There you will get your blurred background. Put the aperature/f stop at say F11 or F16 and you'll get less of a blurred background.

If that makes any sense.

~tc~
May 9th, 2008, 03:32 PM
The aperture is the opening in the lens. A smaller aperture is a bigger f-stop number and viceversa. A smaller aperture (bigger f-stop number) results in more of the view being in focus - kinda like when you squint your eyes.

Rhino95
May 11th, 2008, 01:36 AM
Walked past this tree after letting the neighbor dog out and thought, "Wow, I should take a picture of that tree." It was 2am, but I went inside grabbed the camera and started confusing all the neighbors with the flash. This is what I got.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n211/rddtld6/Photography/Tree3Framed.jpg

OR

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n211/rddtld6/Photography/Tree1Framed.jpg

OR even...

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n211/rddtld6/Photography/Tree2Framed.jpg

I actually have them framed and hanging in my bathroom above the tub as a series. I like them because they are simple. What say you? :thumbsup:

Rhino95
May 11th, 2008, 01:50 AM
Second one isn't exactly straight up and down, but it is in the frame, too lazy to do it in PS.

mrutledge
May 11th, 2008, 09:17 AM
First and third are my favorites. I have to say these are the best pictures you've posted. (In my opinion.) The tree looks to be glowing.

-Matt

Rhino95
May 11th, 2008, 01:12 PM
First and third are my favorites. I have to say these are the best pictures you've posted. (In my opinion.) The tree looks to be glowing.

-Matt

Thanks! One more reason to always have your camera near by as, like I said, it was 2am and thought the tree looked cool so I took the pic. :thumbsup:

RebelRescuer
May 11th, 2008, 01:42 PM
I like the second one best, though all three are great!

I like photos that make you feel something. Number two made me feel that cool grass when you lay in it. Reminded me of being a kid and laying in the grass at night and looking at the stars. Looking at it, I could feel the prickly-ness and that kind of dampy feeling from nightime grass. Know what I mean?

I'm afraid I have no input on technical stuff, but the feeling is nice!

thenimirra
May 12th, 2008, 09:37 AM
I actually like the first one best for it's simplicity and it breaks the Rule of Thirds nicely too.

ColoradoSkier
May 13th, 2008, 03:28 PM
I like the third one.

thenimirra
May 19th, 2008, 11:47 AM
please critique this set of bride pics I took this weekend. They are my first ones like this.... thanks

http://www.picture-yourworld.com/gallery/4972160_d6V2w/1/297764398_fNHwa#297764398_fNHwa

Pinky & the Jeep
May 19th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Not even close....
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj152/FallyBerry/lens.jpg

Here is the link:

Priced at $99,000.00 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/find/newsLetter/Mother-of-All-L-Lenses.jsp)

Sorry, hit the wrong page.

Pinky & the Jeep
May 19th, 2008, 12:01 PM
please critique this set of bride pics I took this weekend. They are my first ones like this.... thanks

http://www.picture-yourworld.com/gallery/4972160_d6V2w/1/297764398_fNHwa#297764398_fNHwa

Those are very nice images, I would like to see that hand shot a bit closer though. Maybe a few more detail shots like that as well. Just real close.
J

thenimirra
May 19th, 2008, 12:05 PM
I think I have some of those in there...I did a ton of detailing shots on her dress. I took more than 200 shots so I have to widdle them down!

Pinky, do you think I should have used a background light to separate the subject from the background or do you think the contrast between her dress and the background is enough?

Pinky & the Jeep
May 19th, 2008, 12:47 PM
I think I have some of those in there...I did a ton of detailing shots on her dress. I took more than 200 shots so I have to widdle them down!

Pinky, do you think I should have used a background light to separate the subject from the background or do you think the contrast between her dress and the background is enough?

I like the contrast, however I am a big fan of the extreme contrast in portraiture, so others may not feel the same. Ultimately it is up to your client, who you should know well enough to light for what they like, but then that comes back to the fact that they chose you because they like your images, and they trust your work so you need to do the same. (Trust yourself) I go back to the images that spoke to the client and try to translate that into the current clients setting. Does that make sense? I sure hope so, I think the sun fried my brain. :)

thenimirra
May 19th, 2008, 12:55 PM
I getcha! It was very hard trying to meter with that white dress as against the black background! It kept getting overexposed, especially when the strobe hit it!

Pinky & the Jeep
May 19th, 2008, 01:22 PM
I getcha! It was very hard trying to meter with that white dress as against the black background! It kept getting overexposed, especially when the strobe hit it!

Ah yes shooting the proverbial black cat in a snow storm, or the white horse in a dark barn.

When metering white (or black) you open up or stop down 2 stops to compensate for the difference. OR Get a grey card, especially for studio work, so simple, just have her hold the grey card for metering then set the camera on manual for that reading.
Now you have my brain spinning. One other metering tip I always liked. Grass is the equivalent of 50% grey. So outside shooting when in doubt meter for the correct exposure of the grass and then shoot on manual for that exposure and you *should* be spot on. But the green is important, we are talking football field green, not washed out green or evergreen.

Anyway. OK, one more trick. If you are shooting something like this, meter half on and half off of the dress. You'll have a 50/50 split of black and white and an evaluative metering should give you the right exposure.

Do you have a spot meter or are you all in camera?

OK, I'm done with tips. All I was trying to say was. I hear ya!

thenimirra
May 19th, 2008, 03:42 PM
I don't think I have spot...I have center weighted I think...I will have to check...but those are great tips! Thanks!

csutke
May 22nd, 2008, 09:15 AM
So here's some more photos from my "office"
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w5/icdubois/Rig%20317/th_100_1642.jpg (http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w5/icdubois/Rig%20317/100_1642.jpg)
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w5/icdubois/Rig%20317/th_100_1645.jpg (http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w5/icdubois/Rig%20317/100_1645.jpg)
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w5/icdubois/Rig%20317/th_100_1642.jpg (http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w5/icdubois/Rig%20317/100_1642.jpg)
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w5/icdubois/Rig%20317/th_100_1638-1.jpg (http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w5/icdubois/Rig%20317/100_1638-1.jpg)

Digger
July 8th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Just a cool pic... taken up Blanca peak 8-'07

http://www.colorado4x4.org/gallery/files/5/1/0/dsc01831.jpg

ColoradoSkier
July 8th, 2008, 02:21 PM
I'd be happy to get feedback on this one...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3279/2650195142_8af8a0ea3a.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/chesterbullock/2650195142/)

I purposely left people out of it.

Luv_Jeeps
July 20th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Here's one I just dug up while going through some older stuff......

Taken with a D70 and the 80-400VR (both of which are no longer in my inventory)
This was taken across the street from my house in the old cottonwood trees.
http://ju.nrfg.com/Hawk2.jpg

Jeffro600
July 20th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Here's one I just dug up while going through some older stuff......

Taken with a D70 and the 80-400VR (both of which are no longer in my inventory)
This was taken across the street from my house in the old cottonwood trees.
http://ju.nrfg.com/Hawk2.jpg

I like it...the branch on the far right is kind of distracting but i like the angle

Pinky & the Jeep
July 20th, 2008, 12:38 PM
You are right about the branch, but it is hanging out there by itself just waiting to be cropped too. I like the way the other branch mirrors the eagle, like balance. J

Oscar
July 20th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Pup running full speed across the meadow at Wheeler Lake

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o223/curtfluke/Wheeler%2019%20Jul/IMG_1415.jpg

Frank Z
July 26th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Took this one over the July 4,08 weekend. I'm thinking I need to find a polarizing filter for my digital camera. (Canon PowerShot S3).
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g138/FrankZ_2006/July%204%202008/July042008027.jpg

~tc~
July 26th, 2008, 02:59 PM
From Holy Cross last weekend

http://shim1.shutterfly.com/procgserv/47b8d901b3127cce98549e0aa8fd00000047108AbNWLJszZOA

Rhino95
July 26th, 2008, 03:20 PM
[QUOTE=Frank Z;1157693]Took this one over the July 4,08 weekend. I'm thinking I need to find a polarizing filter for my digital camera. (Canon PowerShot S3).

More vibrance I'd say, especially in the flower. Tighter crop too? I dunno just thinking out loud. :shrug:

Jeffro600
July 27th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Took this one over the July 4,08 weekend. I'm thinking I need to find a polarizing filter for my digital camera. (Canon PowerShot S3).
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g138/FrankZ_2006/July%204%202008/July042008027.jpg

Tighter crop and a bit of sharpening would go along ways with this photo.

Frank Z
July 27th, 2008, 02:18 PM
http://www.colorado4x4.org/gallery/files/4/6/6/1/july042008_028a.jpg Played around with Microsoft Photoeditor, not sure if I like the results though.

Rhino95
July 27th, 2008, 11:33 PM
I like it. But did you up the vibrance/saturation on the entire image, or just the purple? B/c I feel that the pink thing on the left of the image and the yellows on the flower are a bit overtaking...maybe?

team D.A.T.A.
August 3rd, 2008, 10:11 PM
So, we're catsitting this summer for a friend. Here is Ms Ocelot:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w51/teamdata/Ocelot-018.jpg?t=1217823325

team D.A.T.A.
August 4th, 2008, 05:28 PM
No critics...awesome!

Tiffany
August 4th, 2008, 06:15 PM
I don't like cats. Based on that...I think th epic works well for my thoughts about cats. This one seems to be saying, leave me the heck alone stupid human.

team D.A.T.A.
August 4th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Thanks, but that is exactly why I like them.

ColoradoSkier
August 5th, 2008, 10:30 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3124/2726036568_5006a0b615.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/chesterbullock/2726036568/)

Thoughts?

team D.A.T.A.
August 5th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Chester, why are taking photos of male urinals? That is my thought?

I like the blue tint to everything. It's clean straight lines.

Jeffro600
August 5th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Chester, why are taking photos of male urinals? That is my thought?

X2?? :shrug:

ColoradoSkier
August 5th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Stock photo opportunity, so I took it. :P

Rhino95
August 10th, 2008, 01:02 AM
Is the toilet centered? Seems to be throwing me off for some reason.

Luv_Jeeps
August 10th, 2008, 07:56 AM
Taken from my cousins deck last weekend when I was in Montreal for a wedding.

http://ju.nrfg.com/dock.JPG

team D.A.T.A.
August 10th, 2008, 11:16 PM
I like it. Great shot!

ColoradoSkier
August 11th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Joke about the bathrooms all you want - all 4 got accepted for istock. :flipoff2:

rmjeep
September 17th, 2008, 04:21 PM
http://photosbysjs.printroom.com

Anybody feel like looking thru some galleries?

ColoradoSkier
September 18th, 2008, 06:49 AM
One immediate thing that jumps out is: do you want senior picture galleries publicly accessible?

rmjeep
September 18th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Stated that way in their contract, they had issues getting to the webpage. Mom said she did not want them passworded.

ColoradoSkier
September 18th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Not sure how things work on your service, but at Zenfolio I was able to set up a password protected "collection". Within that collection I created individual galleries that were not password protected. From there I give people a direct URL to their non-password protected gallery, but if they try to navigate up a level to see what other people have portraits, they are prompted for a password. Works pretty slick...

thenimirra
September 23rd, 2008, 06:00 PM
Stated that way in their contract, they had issues getting to the webpage. Mom said she did not want them passworded.

all of my moms said the same thing regarding whether or not to have a password on their senior's galleries. they said it made it easier for their friends to see their photos, so I just did what they said to do. I think it's a good idea to have that put into a contract though to help protect photographers.

SBIUnlimited
December 4th, 2008, 05:37 AM
Ok....my first submission......
http://zurich231.home.bresnan.net/Misc%20images/Snowtrees1_012Resized.JPG

Not sure how to put the picture data in...but here is the generic rundown
Nikon D300, 18-200mm VR Zoom, Focal length 56mm, Focus mode-Manual: Exposure: F22, SS 1.3s, Exposure mode:Manual, Center weighted metering, ISO1600

Stay warm everyone

ColoradoSkier
December 4th, 2008, 08:30 AM
I like it, but I might crop the lights out from the next yard over. They are a little distracting to me.

SBIUnlimited
December 4th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Was thinking the same thing. That is the image straight out of the camera, so have not done a thing to it. Sure was cold last night laying on the front porch with the gay little tripod I have, doing it's best to hold up this monster of a camera...........looks like a new tripod is in the future.

ColoradoSkier
December 4th, 2008, 09:23 AM
I am hoping it keeps snowing all day so I can get some decent pics of our lights tonight...

Suki
March 6th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Ahh the trip that started it all for me. Frisco and I went to Seattle a few years back and I had just gotten a new pink camera and was taking pictures like a mad woman, Micro was my BFF. Here are my fav's, unedited.

Note: i'm not sure why, but all the shots at this particular location were really dull looking.

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff55/krael22/Seattle%20Vacation/Day%203%20-%20Saturday%2010_27%20Oregon/DSC01271.jpg

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff55/krael22/Seattle%20Vacation/Day%203%20-%20Saturday%2010_27%20Oregon/DSC01253.jpg

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff55/krael22/Seattle%20Vacation/Day%203%20-%20Saturday%2010_27%20Oregon/DSC01260.jpg

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff55/krael22/Seattle%20Vacation/Day%203%20-%20Saturday%2010_27%20Oregon/DSC01221.jpg

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff55/krael22/Seattle%20Vacation/Day%203%20-%20Saturday%2010_27%20Oregon/DSC01203.jpg

Suki
March 6th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Space needle can be seen through the.. whatever that thing is, lol!

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff55/krael22/Seattle%20Vacation/Day%202%20-%20Friday%2010_26_07/DSC01143.jpg

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff55/krael22/Seattle%20Vacation/Day%202%20-%20Friday%2010_26_07/DSC01142.jpg

Suki
March 6th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Houston

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff55/krael22/Houston/houstontrip210.jpg

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff55/krael22/Houston/houstontrip200.jpg

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff55/krael22/Houston/houstontrip118.jpg

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff55/krael22/Houston/houstontrip113.jpg

XJCrawler01
April 13th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Went out to the dirtbike track on saturday with my room mate and these are some of the photos that i got let me know what you think and what i could possibly do better thanks.

Mike

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3658/3432163367_7d3c1c015a.jpg?v=0
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3567/3432976498_2ddd544700.jpg?v=0
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3653/3432976366_7693f8183c.jpg?v=0
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3578/3432969766_a89690c882.jpg?v=0
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3627/3432079481_bafec3d164.jpg?v=0

Jeffro600
April 13th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Went out to the dirtbike track on saturday with my room mate and these are some of the photos that i got let me know what you think and what i could possibly do better thanks.

Mike

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3658/3432163367_7d3c1c015a.jpg?v=0
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3567/3432976498_2ddd544700.jpg?v=0
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3653/3432976366_7693f8183c.jpg?v=0
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3627/3432079481_bafec3d164.jpg?v=0

Want the fluffy, make you feel good critique or the brutally honest one?? If you want fluffy, dont go any futher... :P

Their all underexposed and lack any serious depth in the dynamic range and most of them have fairly unpleasing croppings. Seems like you were trying to focus more on the backgrounds more than the actual riders. The black and white isnt helping much either...motorcycle racing is about going fast and being outdoors...flashy, contrasting colors, shiny metal surfaces, bright blue skies...and you really lose alot of that sense of depth IMO.

The second from the last picture is by far the best of the bunch...i really like the wide angle approach of it and how you got the cones, the track, the rider and just a hint of background is a great combo. But again, its underexposed and needs to be color...again, IMO though. If you could get more dynamic range(more exposure...just on the rider) it would help make things jump off the screen a little more.

Their not terrible pics....just could be improved upon. Most of the problem i see could fairly easily be fixed with some more creative cropping and other post processing techniques.

XJCrawler01
April 14th, 2009, 10:22 PM
Thank you for the input. and sorry for the long post

I guess im always a sucker for black and white photos, but now that you mention it and that i have taken a look at some of my roommates motorcycle mags it dose not seem like the right application for black and white.

on the matter of depth are you talking about spacial depth (like the whole images is flat) or something more like the riders look like paper cutouts on the background. Would decreasing the aperture do what your saying?

With focusing on the background. i was trying to show the (Headroom) or whare they were going. do you think that is a good thing or a bad thing? is that what you were saying with the focusing on the back ground?

Once again thank you for your input

ColoradoSkier
April 15th, 2009, 08:42 AM
I mostly agree with Jeffro, but I do like this one for some reason...

Makes it feel vintage or something. Maybe even more if you tint it blue a little, like an aged photo from back in the day.

Jeffro600
April 15th, 2009, 07:09 PM
I mostly agree with Jeffro, but I do like this one for some reason...

Makes it feel vintage or something. Maybe even more if you tint it blue a little, like an aged photo from back in the day.

Yep, same one i liked...just needs a little tweaking.

landmark
June 15th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Ok, I was goofing around at the track taking pics and a few of the riders came up to me as I was leaving and asked if they could have some of the pics I was taking of them, so I obliged. I guess they liked them enough to offer me money if I would come back and take some more. So, I could use any suggestions you have because I really have no idea what I am doing.

Here are a few that I cropped and touched up. Some obvious things that come to my mind are subject framing (too close or too far away) and maybe background composure? I know I took a lot of butt-shots, but I wasn't really moving around the track for optimal position.

Fire away...

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m231/hey_markus/Motocross/motocross01.jpg

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m231/hey_markus/Motocross/motocross02.jpg

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m231/hey_markus/Motocross/motocross03.jpg

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m231/hey_markus/Motocross/motocross04.jpg

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m231/hey_markus/Motocross/motocross05.jpg

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m231/hey_markus/Motocross/motocross06.jpg

ColoradoSkier
June 16th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Best one is where the rider is coming right at you. Can't put an exact finger on why the rest don't do it for me, but they don't. Maybe if there were more riders and action. Just seems like a lot of empty space.

Tiffany
June 16th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Get the action coming toward you. You want to be in front of the action or you just have some guy/gals behind.

If you are focusing on one rider then get in tight on him/her and focus on them.

landmark
June 17th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the tips. This wasn't a race, so they were pretty much just coming around the track one at a time. Next time I'll see if I can position myself a little better to get more of the action.

SBIUnlimited
June 20th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Haven't posted anything in a while....so here we go. This needs a little work, but was curious what people thought.

http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp265/SteveBartonImages/SBI%20Keepers/Love005.jpg

SBIUnlimited
June 24th, 2009, 10:25 AM
4 days and not a single thought. This must be a horrible shot??

ColoradoSkier
June 24th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Sorry dude, just not my thing. :shrug:

SBIUnlimited
June 24th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Sorry dude, just not my thing. :shrug:

Does that mean it sucks......? Too dark, out of focus, crappy composition...............give me something?

ColoradoSkier
June 24th, 2009, 12:44 PM
I think it is too dark, and the amber color throws me too. I'd like B&W better I think.

ColoradoSkier
June 24th, 2009, 12:44 PM
And that LOVE candle is still in a plastic container reflecting the light in an odd way.

SBIUnlimited
June 24th, 2009, 12:54 PM
I think it is too dark, and the amber color throws me too. I'd like B&W better I think.

And that LOVE candle is still in a plastic container reflecting the light in an odd way.

That's what I am talking about!!!! Thanks Chester!!!

Rubi Unlimited
July 8th, 2009, 08:22 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/PhotoTWB/Elk%20hunt%202008/hunt.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/PhotoTWB/Elk%20hunt%202008/DSCN2218.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/PhotoTWB/Elk%20hunt%202008/hunt2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/PhotoTWB/Colorao%20Elk%20Hunt%20Medium/DSCN2572Medium.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/PhotoTWB/Colorao%20Elk%20Hunt%20Medium/DSCN2624Medium.jpg

Jeffro600
July 8th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Nice shots

The 3rd ones my favorite out of the bunch but their all good...good composition, color, exposure and clarity. The last one almost needs to be a bit wider but its still nice.

thenimirra
July 8th, 2009, 08:44 PM
I like the first image. It is largely monotone and then that big pop of color in a third of the shot makes the composition.

Rubi Unlimited
July 13th, 2009, 12:41 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/PhotoTWB/Animals/DSCN1300.jpg

ColoradoSkier
July 13th, 2009, 12:48 PM
All the colors blend too much for my liking.

Tiffany
July 13th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Try upping the contrast a bit. The dog is lost in the leaves.

SBIUnlimited
July 17th, 2009, 05:12 AM
http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp265/SteveBartonImages/SBI%20Keepers/DSC_4293.jpg

http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp265/SteveBartonImages/SBI%20Keepers/DSC_4296.jpg

ColoradoSkier
July 17th, 2009, 08:08 AM
I like them. I might try the second one in black and white or even sepia for a more rustic look.

SBIUnlimited
July 18th, 2009, 07:55 AM
http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp265/SteveBartonImages/SBI%20Keepers/DSC_4295.jpg

Jeffro600
July 18th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Lookin good! Chesters idea on the B&W suits that picture well.

SBIUnlimited
July 18th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Thanks guys. I like the B/W version as well. Off to Frontier Days to shoot some Caboys

SBIUnlimited
July 18th, 2009, 09:33 PM
http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp265/SteveBartonImages/SBI%20Keepers/DSC_4535.jpg http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp265/SteveBartonImages/SBI%20Keepers/DSC_4519.jpg

Jeffro600
July 18th, 2009, 10:43 PM
The B&W horse is very nice! :thumbsup: That rope is kinda distracting but an otherwise great image!

ColoradoSkier
July 19th, 2009, 07:42 AM
I want to get a pic of the train heading to Cheyenne. Maybe next Saturday.

SBIUnlimited
July 19th, 2009, 08:05 AM
The B&W horse is very nice! :thumbsup: That rope is kinda distracting but an otherwise great image!

Thanks. I thought I could use the rope somehow to convey the "caged" feel that that guys poor eyeball was giving out....but I need to work on the set a bit and see if I can come up with something else. The two pics are certainly a contrast in perspective....... That black bull was a Badass!!! He actually charged me when I was taking the pics. Scared the entire contents of my bowels out of me.

I want to get a pic of the train heading to Cheyenne. Maybe next Saturday.

I've heard about that, but don't know the details.

Rubi Unlimited
August 10th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Whoops a little to big horizontally for the format here on my screen.
I couldn't figure out a way to get the road in the picture and get rid of the weeded area in the lower right I do not like the light poles and the back of the jeep is too dark. I am happy with most of the angles as they all go to one spot in the lower right but they lead you to the part of the picture that I am most unhappy with. I need a real camera as a point and shoot gives me decent pictures but most if not all the problems with my pictures fall into the composition and substance of the pictures and not the cameras fault. But oh well I am happy as its an amateur snapshot.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/PhotoTWB/Jeep/jeepcleercreek2.jpg