PDA

View Full Version : Hearing on 102J (Jamestown-Ward) Road

TJeeper
September 10th, 2001, 10:09 AM
There will be a hearing with the Boulder County Commissioners Tuesday 9/11 at 2pm in the Commissioner's Hearing Room on the 3rd floor, County Courthouse, 1325 Pearl St., Boulder.

The Boulder Ranger District has proposed the movement of the gate at the Gold Lake Resort (the Ward end) to the intersection with the Walker Mountain (or Gillespie Gulch) Road. The reason being that the Gold Lake Resort has been charging a parking fee for people that want to access their public lands from the existing closure.

There was an article in Nederland newspaper entitled something like "Jamestown Rallies to Limit Road Use". They are of course looking for lots of anti-road use people to oppose the movement of the gate.

We need people to come to the meeting and say they would like the gate at the Gold Lake resort removed. The Forest Service is behind this proposal and we need to back it with people at the meeting. Please plan to attend. Sign in and request to speak. All you have to say is you want the Gold Lake Resort closure of 102J removed. Then be seated. Even if you hate to speak in a room full of people, it shouldn't be too hard to get that out. Unfortunately these meetings are not good for working people. It may last two to
three hours depending on how many want to speak. Can you take an
afternoon and help support motorized recreation?

There was an article on the front page of the Boulder Daily Camera about this issue, and it definately has a liberal spin. It can be read at:
http://www.thedailycamera.com/news/county/10agate.html

The only way we are going to keep our public lands open is if we let our elected officials know we want to use them. This particular road was closed because of issues due to water quality on the Jamestown watershed. The movement of the gate will still keep this section closed, so there should be no reason the rest of the National Forest land should be unaccessible too. Right now the only way to access it is through Nugget Hill or Gillespie Gulch, neither of which is suitable for stock vehicles. Opening the gate will allow people with stock vehicles to access the land to camp, hike or whatever use they would like, without being charged a fee by the Gold Lake resort.

phyler
September 10th, 2001, 04:47 PM
Whatever happened to journalists being un-biased? They haven't closed the entire area, just limited the access to only the serious four-wheelers, dirt bikes and quad-runners. Once at the top you can still get down to the stream. Why not put gates to prevent that then trying to shut everyone out? Oh yeah, I forgot, this is the People's Republic of Boulder. I'll try to be at the meeting.

phyler

phyler
September 11th, 2001, 04:27 AM
I am assuming that due to the tragic events today that the meeting has been cancelled. If you could update us as to when it will be rescheduled that would be great. Thanks.

phyler

TJeeper
September 12th, 2001, 09:15 AM
The issue was tabled until 9/27, 3pm.

Here is an article:
http://www.thedailycamera.com/news/local/12lgia.html

phyler
September 12th, 2001, 09:40 AM
Thanks. I know a few of us will be there to support moving the gate.

Phyler

TJeeper
September 20th, 2001, 04:01 AM
I received this email today from our club secretary. The support from the off road community does not seem to be there, and it looks like we could lose the issue.

Due to the terrible events that took place on the 11th, the meeting by
the Boulder County Commissioners on 102J was postponed until September
27th, Thursday, at 3:00pm. The meeting will be at the Boulder County
Courthouse in Boulder at 1325 Pearl Street on the Third floor.

I did show up for the September 11th meeting. There were many people
that looked to be in support of keeping the Gold Lake gate in place on
102J. The Gold Lake Resort desire is to keep the gate at their
property boundary with the public lands so they can police the public,
and continue to charge for parking on their property.

County Road 102J runs along James Creek From Jamestown to the Gold
Lake Resort. It was an easy 4WD road. The section on top of ridge
above James Creek is still accessible from Gillespie Gulch or Rowena
to Nugget Hill. Both of these accesses are difficult 4WD roads.

What purpose does the Gold Lake Resort Gate serve? The public can
legally drive to both sides of the gate. In fact if requested by those
that come to the gate from the public lands, Gold Lake Resort will
unlock the gate to let you out. It does nothing except restrict those
that do not want to drive up Gillespie Gulch or the Nugget Hill road
from accessing public lands.

The County proposes to move the Gold Lake Resort gate 100 feet further
onto Forest Property and create a parking area. This will disturb more
public lands, cost more than the Forest Service proposal, and still
serve no purpose as the public can legally drive to both sides of the
gate.

The original decision to protect the watershed of James Creek was
incorrectly extended to include the closure of the gate at Gold Lake.
The closure does not protect the watershed as the road behind the gate
is on the ridge above James Creek. There is another gate below the
junction of 102J and FDR509 to keep the public from driving down into
the James Creek Watershed. So, what purpose does the Gold Lake Resort
gate serve?

I talked with Christine Walsh, Boulder District Ranger USFS, and her
proposal is to move the gate to the intersection with 102J and FDR509
(Walker Mountain and Nugget Hill). This is the proposal that the 4WD
and motorized community should support.

Please attend the meeting and help support the Forest Service's
proposal to open the gate at Gold Lake Resort and allow the public
access to the public lands.

If you can not attend send your comments to the Boulder County
Commissioners.

Board of County Commissioners
P.O. Box 471
Boulder, CO 80306

You may also sent letters to Mike Thomas at the Boulder County
Transportation Department.

Boulder County Transportation
c/o Mike Thomas
2045 13th Street
Boulder, CO 80302
(303)441-3900
Fax (303)441-4594

TJeeper
September 26th, 2001, 04:12 AM
Just a reminder, the meeting is tomorrow 9/27.

phyler
September 28th, 2001, 06:38 AM
How did this go? I couldn't make it cause I got a last minute contract job. I did write a letter and passed the address onto several people. I had some friends who drove up Gillespie last weekend and when they got to the gate the people at Gold Lake threanted to call the cops and press charges for trespassing. Hmm, treaspassing on public lands? Didn't know there was such a thing.

phyler

TJeeper
September 28th, 2001, 09:09 AM
We lost again. The commissioners had their mind made up before the hearing, from the sounds of it. They aren't interested in protecting the Jamestown watershed, they are interested in shutting down all public access to 4WD vehicles.

Here's the article from the Daily Camera:
http://www.thedailycamera.com/news/county/28lgate.html

Of course they only print sound bites, and forget those minor details like facts and background information.

I have been thinking it's been a while since I have been up there. Might be time to get up there and see how things look.

Trespassing on an open road? That's interesting. It is illegal to pass through the gate there without permission, but it is not illegal to drive in from the other side. Did you know those same people at Gold Lake have a key for that gate, and they let some people through? They also charge a parking fee for the people who want park there and hike into the National Forest. Funny how the rules only apply to them when they like the results. smilies/mad.gif

Eric
September 28th, 2001, 11:14 AM
That sucks!!! Even the forest service was on our side ("our" meaning the general american public) smilies/pissed.gif What's the next step? Can we sue them for regulating access to federal land?

phyler
September 29th, 2001, 05:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Trespassing on an open road? That's interesting. It is illegal to pass through the gate there without permission, but it is not illegal to drive in from the other side. Did you know those same people at Gold Lake have a key for that gate, and they let some people through? They also charge a parking fee for the people who want park there and hike into the National Forest. Funny how the rules only apply to them when they like the results.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, they told them that if they didn't leave, even though they were still on public property that they would charge them with trespassing. This really sucks and shows what the "elected officals" in Boulder really do. I can't believe that the people of Gold Lake Resort are going to be allowed to charge people to use free and open public lands. The rich supporting the rich maybe? I remember seeing a article in the Colorado Daily where a couple of grad students did a study on Left Hand Canyon and had recommended that it be closed. I'm sure their study was real acurate. They didn't even mention the fact that there is a yearly clean-up sponsered by a four-wheel club.

Hopefully the US Forest Service will sue or get leagal on the commisioners.

phyler